TN: 2008 Chateau Barde Haut

A gift from Robert Alfert. And when I told him I was drinking it, he told me I had to post a note.

From a 375. Opened, quick taste, poured half in the glass, let the bottle and glass sit for just over an hour. Consumed at dinner with grilled steak, twice baked potatoes, asparagus and sautéed mushrooms.

Dark inky purple in the glass. Nose and taste of subdued earthy dark fruit with oak. A pleasantly dry, leathery and lingering finish. Nicely balanced and I found myself sad that I only had a 375 of this as it left me wanting more. The 14% ABV, and maybe the slightly higher oak taste, probably put this Bordeaux just at the edge of Robert’s wheelhouse, but it is certainly in mine. This is a wine I will seek out and look forward to trying again.

Glad you enjoyed it, Ian! Nice note as well.

Yes, this wine is just outside my wheelhouse in riper years but 2008 pulled it off decently. I think I have more 375s, so more trades may be in order! I think the owner/manager of Barde Haut, Helen Garcin, also manages Chateaux Branon and Haut Bergey. Haut Bergey is in Pessac Leognan and it’s well priced, you should try it.

This property is where Cercle Rive Droite tasting is held. Very beautiful modern property and the wine reflects that. I can definitely see this would be at the edge of Robert’s Bordeaux preference. Though modern still not too extreme

Have not tried the 2008, but I generally find their wines too modern and oaky for my taste.

Better options than haut bergey at that price…bergey is getting a bit overboard with the oak…larrivet is oaked but less so than bergey and more complex.

I agree MarcF, but that’s because Haut Bergey is not really our style. For those inclined to go modern, it’s a reasonable wine.

[scratch.gif] Asparagus and wine!? Shocked the pairing gods did not smite you!

I find these age better than one would have thought. I’m quite fond of the estate.

Nice note.

Is that a no-no? I love grilled asparagus drizzled with olive oil paired with steak. I assume you say this because there is some compound or chemical in asparagus that taints the palete? newhere

Well you of course have to trust your own palate but for me it really makes red wine taste a bit green and even tinny, however, adding a sauce (especially cheese), lemon or grilling can soften it and make it less of a clash. But hey if you like it go with it. Most of the time asparagus is paired with a white chardonnay, chenin blanc, or even a pinot grigio…

I really have enjoyed reading and pairing stuff suggested in the book What to drink with what you eat. I have a hard copy and kindle but go with the hard copy much easier to read. Kindle works well for reference only. champagne.gif

Hey, I like green and tinny: Think Chinon with no oak regiment!

I’m with Ian, here. Love asparagus (and brussell sprouts) too much to pass on it, especially since I drink wine with most evening meals. Yes, crisp, high-acid whites pair well. But I have also been pleased with red wines and asparagus if it is grilled. Perhaps the char and smoke reduce the bitterness asparagus can kick off in wine. I also tend to drink high-acide, low oak wines.