TN: Big Basin In The OC--Dinner With Bradley Brown PART 2

Props to Bradley Brown for coming down to the OC to show us his wines. We last did this same kind of event with Bradley in 2013 so roughly two years apart, the wine style is showing change. The way he talks about his wines and what he is trying to do, the changes for me are now most evident in the pinots. Before I comment on those, let me make a comment about the rhone reds. I do like the Rattlesnake and will buy some of the '11 once I can get an email off to order it. Great stuff and continues to be a wine I enjoy, especially the '11. I did also like the Coastview syrah, again the '11. As to the grenache, my palate is just not in the place anymore where I want to drink higher ABV reds, which these wines showed to me. I do know many people like grenache and continue to drink it, with what seems higher ABVs. Those wines are not for me and to heck with whatever the critics say about them, and their scores. I suspect in time Bradley will dial in the grenache and they may evolve more to what I like, not what I will ever tell others YOU should like.

As for the pinots, WHAM! Putting all the angst and hand-wringing aside that is part of the IPOB discussion and the polarized opinions, Bradley is intrigued and involved with this line of pinot making and it is showing in his wines. Beautiful are these '13 pinots and if the IPOB influence, or the winemakers influence on the message (maybe both) can create changes in the way pinot is expressed, than I am all for it. These Big Basin '13 pinots are damn good, especially the Alfaro and Woodruff. Lots of whole cluster, acidity, red fruits–all the things that really fire me up about what CA pinot noir does for MY palate. Does that mean I am right, or Bradley is right, or the IPOB cadre of wineries is right? Again, with the grenache, it will come down to what YOU like, not what we are told to follow. But, if you follow the wines I enjoy, my notes and MY own impression of what works for me, than these '13 pinots below are in that same highway of enjoyment. Take that FWIW, but I will buy the Big Basin '13 pinots, no question–we just need them to be released in the next year.

Thank you all for coming last night, for Bradley too in making it down and letting us see where he is headed, Great time.

[/i]
20150627_102443.jpg
BIG BASIN IN THE OC–DINNER WITH BRADLEY BROWN PART 2 - My House (6/26/2015)

Bubbly with Chicken Spring Rolls

• NV Varnier-Fanniere Champagne Cuvée Saint-Denis - France, Champagne, Avize, Champagne
    I found lots of lemon peel and bread dough in this bottling. Seemed a bit rambunctious for me, a little all over the place.
  • NV Paul Dethune Champagne Brut Rosé - France, Champagne, Ambonnay, Champagne
    Dang, I love this Dethune. Killer for $35 and I need to go get the rest of it from Envoyer. Strawberry, pure zesty fruit, lovely and even.

Pinot Noir with Empanadas from Maro in Laguna Beach

• 2013 Big Basin Vineyards Pinot Noir Alfaro Family Vineyard - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains
    Oh lord, is this good. Presented with the other '13 BB PNs. While the 1’3 Woodruff was strong, this for me edged that wine out. 12.4% ABV, FWIW. Crunchy, zesty (reminding me of the '11 vintage qualities–not Big Basin but in general, what I like best about the '11 vintage and the best pinots from it. A zesty quality). Stuffed with red fruits of strawberry and raspberry, spice and rose petal, along with terrific acidity. It’s easy to spot wines that are top of class when they are in the glass–there is a something-ness about them, all taken together, that make them stand apart. This is in that class. As I sat with it, and Bradley was seated next to me, I told him this reminded me a lot of the Rhys Bearwallow, which is in that same class. Just amazing stuff.
  • 2013 Big Basin Vineyards Pinot Noir Lester Family Vineyard - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains
    Of all the BB 13 PNs we had in the 2 flights, this was the most undefined. The higher whole cluster here does show, too. Has a fuller palate, more black fruit, but in the black cherry realm, not blackberry (which I really dislike in PN and if that was here, I’d say it). Tension in the wine, lots of coil and a crushed rock powder tannin in the finish. Of all the BB 13s, this will need more time to be approachable.
  • 2013 Big Basin Vineyards Pinot Noir Woodruff Family Vineyard - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains
    Dynamite stuff. Damn near as good as the 13 BB Alfaro. This is juicy, with a wollop of bright cherry, vibrant acidity and a light tone of watermelon. Finishes with a minerally, earthy/soily note. Where the Alfaro suggests Anderson Valley like fruit, this is more burgundian in tone. Wonderful stuff.
  • 2014 Big Basin Vineyards Pinot Noir Coast Grade Vineyard - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains
    This was a barrel sample but since it was presented with the '13 BB PNs, I figured I would add it to the database and include a TN. This wine is still rough for me, lacking of course for this stage any of the finished polish of the 13s (putting vintage aside). Seems riper to me than the 13s, carrying with it a roaster fruit quality. We’ll have to see where this settles out and probably not fair to judge it, in light of the beauty of the '13 BB PNs that preceded it.

Syrah with BBQ meats from the grill

• 2010 Big Basin Vineyards Syrah Rattlesnake Rock - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains
    Floral, blue fruited, pure with solid acidity. No appearance of any dark/black fruit, just really expressive and delicious.
  • 2011 Big Basin Vineyards Syrah Rattlesnake Rock - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains
    Ah-ha! This has the '11 vintage signature all over it, and what makes it more obvious that the vintage stamped itself to this '11 is that we tasted the '10 right next to it. The '11 shows that distinct vintage quality of lower ABV, savory with herb and noticeable pepper. Reminds me a lot of Wind Gap. I’m buying some of this '11 and laying it down for a few years. Excellent expression of Rattlesnake.
  • 2006 Big Basin Vineyards Mandala - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains
    Andrew slipped this in blind to the Rattlesnake flight (2010 and 2011). We didn’t tell Bradley what it was but he made a few guesses and got damn close to guessing it. Interesting expression of wine here. Shows a bit tart, with some green olive, juicy darker fruit and remarkably still tannic and youthful. Will age a lot longer, I believe. Was outclassed by the '11 Rattlesnake tonight.

Grenache with Cheese and Charcuterie from Whole Foods

• 2011 Big Basin Vineyards Syrah Coastview Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Monterey County
    For an '11 vintage wine, this showed a riper tone, almost '12-like in color and fruit profile. Dark, tarry with iron. Juicy, dark blueberry and black olive, too. Very good and interestingly bigger toned than I’d expect for an '11.
  • 2012 Big Basin Vineyards Syrah Coastview Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Monterey County
    Tasted next to the '11, and for my palate, the '11 beat this wine. The '12 is a bit too ripe in tone for me, and it throws a light heat note in the aromatic. Has the roasted, dark fruit quality of the riper vintage and also shows more tannin than the '11. Just a bigger version and so depending on what your palate chases, you decide. For me, it’s the '11.
  • 2012 Big Basin Vineyards Grenache Coastview Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Monterey County
    Shows the vintage for me, a riper more throttled version of grenache IMO. Raspberry fruited, with lots of acidity, juicy like grenache should be and spicy. Some strawberry jam makes it into the finish but in total, just a bit big for me. Still trying to understand grenache and whether I will find a liking to it in the CA versions.
  • 2012 Big Basin Vineyards Grizzly - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains
    Like the '12 BB Coastview grenache, this Grizzly is just a bit big for my fragile tastes. It has the same spicy, red fruit driven aspects of the Coastview, with a similar heat note in the aromatic, too. Look, I know people will like this wine, yet I simply have a different palate these days and I don’t go after or nuzzle up with wines that are richer.

Posted from CellarTracker

Nice, I’ll post my tasting story here too.

I’m in the middle of honey do’s right now. Doh!

BIG BASIN TASTING WITH BRADLEY - FMIII in the OC (6/27/2015)

Bradley Brown, Chris, and FMIII

The line up waiting their turn

FMIII sets the agenda

Starters

• NV Varnier-Fanniere Champagne Cuvée Saint-Denis - France, Champagne, Avize, Champagne
    Medium depth of color. A lot of raw bread, sour, aroma. Palate combines that sour dough and yeast quality with a lime/citrus flavor. Tart finish with medium plus length.

• NV Paul Dethune Champagne Brut Rosé - France, Champagne, Ambonnay, Champagne
    I’ve had this before but I guess I didn’t write a tasting note which is odd. I’m a rosé hound. Hot pink color, just screams summer. Smells like a fresh croissant and red currant fruit. Great mouthfeel and well balanced. Flavor is driven by sour cherry with a big hit of acid at the finish. Excellent.

• 2008 Moreau-Naudet & Fils Chablis 1er Cru Montée de Tonnerre - France, Burgundy, Chablis, Chablis 1er Cru
    Interesting as this not what I think of when I hear Chablis. Granted, I’m no expert. At 8 years of age it’s beginning to show it as a deep gold color. The nose completely threw me off, like a dried mushroom or twigs with a floral and marzipan thing happening. See why I was stumped? Lots of lime fruit flavor which are edgy. Medium plus weigh.

Pinot Round One

• 2013 Big Basin Vineyards Pinot Noir Alfaro Family Vineyard - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains
    I’m pulling the fire alarm on this one like I did with the 2012 Kutch Flastaff last year. Back up the truck, WOTY candidate. Can’t be WOTY unless the wine shows interesting aromatics and the aromas pour out of the glass, no swirling required. I like it when I’ve moved on to tasting the wine and then the nose pulls me back for round two. Savory red fruit. Color is a light garnet with good clarity. Wine sparkles. Palate is tart red berries. The whole cluster component comes across as dried brush, sage, and ripe stem. Absolutely beautiful, elegant and down right tasty. I really enjoyed previous vintages so it looks like this Alfaro vineyard in the hands of Bradley is magical.

• 2013 Big Basin Vineyards Pinot Noir Lester Family Vineyard - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains
    The big problem with this wine is it was paired with the Alfano. This is a very nice wine although it’s a bit bashful at this young age, heck, it’s only been in the bottle for 5 months. Darker than the Alfano. Nose is nearly shut down completely. Riper and brighter fruit, raspberry, with excellent acidity. Has a nice edge. As Andrew mentioned, this is probably the bottle with the best chance of significant age if you were to lay them all down.

Pinot Round Two

• 2013 Big Basin Vineyards Pinot Noir Woodruff Family Vineyard - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains
    I was on grill duty during this flight so the gang went without me. I did come back in and take the glass with me while wrestling with the BBQ. No detailed notes other than it was delicious. Paired well with a face full of flames and sizzling meats.

Rattlesnake

• 2010 Big Basin Vineyards Syrah Rattlesnake Rock - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains
    Another short note, got distracted and we had a misfire on the first bottle. Lots of good dark blackberry flavor and medium body.

• 2011 Big Basin Vineyards Syrah Rattlesnake Rock - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains
    Fantastic wine. Beautiful blackberry with spice, incense, and minerals. Firm acid backbone. Silver medal winner for me tonight in an extremely strong lineup.

• 2006 Big Basin Vineyards Mandala - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains
    Blind. Guessed Syrah. The black olive note gives it away. Seems riper than the other syrahs with a ripe plum note mixed with the blackberry. Hint of molasses.

Syrah

Grenache

• 2012 Big Basin Vineyards Grenache Coastview Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Monterey County
    Sweet red fruit core and aggressive tannins and whole cluster exposure. Reminds me of a Tercero Grenache which means I like it but it needs 5 more years for me to love it. Who knows, this might be a baby Rayas if you have the willpower to put them down for 20 years.
  • 2012 Big Basin Vineyards Grizzly - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains
    Like the Grenache used in this bottling, this is a big, rough, and high energy wine at this point. All estate fruit so no more Mourvèdre, just Syrah and Grenache. The whole cluster is very prevalent. Grizzly is the perfect name for the wine. Needs 5 years to settle down.

Posted from CellarTracker

Nice shirt Sharkman! Wines sound great - thx for the notes.

Great notes Frankie. Bradley does great work and is under appreciated here.

Frank;

Sorry for the ever so gentle thread drift: I visited Big Basin yesterday as you had suggested in a thread of mine seeking recommendations for SCM. Matt spent about two hours with me showing me the vineyards and sampling wines from the bottle and barrel. I briefly met both Brads.

Frank, thanks for much for the recommendation.

Matt and Brads, thanks for your time and the wines.

Mark

Thanks for the reports Frank & Brig. I’ve pulled a couple Big Basins from my cellar over the past month, '07 Rattlesnake Syrah and '08 Coastview Syrah, both of which were excellent and had me questioning why I don’t buy more from them. I think my dislike of the Mandala over several vintages colored my view of the producer.

I wish I could have been there - the last time Frank hosted a Big Basin dinner a few years ago, I was extremely impressed with Bradley and with the wines.

I just had a 2011 Alfaro pinot a week ago, and it was really singing. Great balance of fruit, complexity, acid and SCM character.

Quick Lester update from a week ago, I had the remaining bottle of the Lester sitting on the counter all week saving it for a friend to try. Held together beautifully, maybe softened a bit, but tasting very nice. Good sign for Andrews aging prediction