Long Overdue: My Visit with Dave Butner of Kaella Winery

This post is long overdue, due to my company being acquired and the travel and newness associated with it, but in mid May I was in Bothell, WA for some work training and managed to catch up with Dave at his tasting room in Woodinville. First off let me say this: Dave Butner is a prime of example of why I love wine. He has a small little winery where he uses a custom crush facility, a mobile bottling truck and splits a barrel room with a friend. He is incredibly friendly, and energetic to be around…and has great taste in music. I spent 3 hours or so with him drinking through his line-up and then wandering into the back to try barrel sample after barrel sample. It was one of the best tasting experiences have ever had. I am not overly familiar with wines made from Washington state and so have no real basis of comparison, but overall i really enjoyed the wines. I thought the Kaella Rose is a wonderful full bodied, food friendly wine that is more robust than most other roses i drink. I thought it was the ultimate Thanksgiving wine. I really liked the different expressions of Syrah I tasted both in the blends and by itself from year to year and really enjoyed the Sangiovese as well. I thought that the Bordeauxesque blends really tasted like cool climate left bank wines and they were probably my least favorite of the unch. I told Dave that night and will reiterate it here though: I am now a buyer of Kaella.
Thanks again for having me Dave.

Very mic write-up Alston. Thank you.

I buy Kaella every January 27th!!!

Thanks for the very kind words Alston, it was a pleasure to meet and taste the barrels with you, really glad you enjoyed the visit!

Oh, I should also have mentioned - thanks to Bud, who does buy the Sangiovese every year! Thanks Bud!