2006 Shane Syrah Jemrose Vineyard

• 2006 Shane Syrah Jemrose Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Bennett Valley (5/21/2015)
    Stood upright for about a week, popped and poured. Dark purple-ruby hue. Seriously pronounced aromatics…like a continually evolving mélange of ripe raspberry, Kalamata olive, menthol, fresh herbs, incense, subtle spices (clove??) and a note of clay-laden minerals. So full of freshness and underlying tension. Medium to medium-plus body. Fresh black raspberry, blackberry, kirsch and most any other dark berry forms the immediate flavor impression. Let this sit and linger a bit longer and you’ll also find savory herbaceous flavors which are complimented by notes of dark chocolate and a distinct impression of saline minerals. Tannins show a fine chalkiness on the lengthy, almost endless close. Wonderful now, will age effortlessly for at least another 5+ years.
    This is about as profound an example of moderately aged CA Syrah that one can hope to find.

Could be WOTY for me so far, caught it in that magic place and a true “wow” wine. My one and only bottle of the 2006 Jemrose, bought on release. Gonna save my last two bottles of Shane’s 2007s for at least another 1-2 years and hope they show like this.

Great to hear; haven’t checked in on this in a while & still have a couple in storage. '06 Unknown was pretty great a month ago. Big fan of Shane & his Syrahs.

Phillip, this has been in my passive cellar since release, low 50s during winter to mid-60s during the summer…you might want to consider waiting on opening one of these for another couple years if they’ve been at a constant 55 degrees or less. Then again, this bottle just crushed it so I’d probably be reaching for one too lol.

Either way, please post your impressions if you do open one, would love to hear.

I’m also a big fan of Shane and his wines, not just the syrahs. His pinot, rose and grenache blanc are all regulars in my cellar!!!