T/F question: Champagne can be made from other varietals than the usual 3.

Recently, I`m drinking great Pinot Noir with and from Burt Williams and he made the comment that champagne used to be made with Pinot Gris long before chardonnay which I was not aware of or had forgotten if I was, so I looked it up and found:

Comprising maybe .02% of all Champagne grapes, and used by very very few producers, are Arbanne, Pinot Blanc, Pinot Gris (also known as Fromenteau), and Petit Mesilier. One producer who uses these varieties is Aubry Champagne. These grapes are no longer planted but the complex Champagne regulations allow some previously planted vines to be used. Also historically allowed were Pinot de Juillet and Pinot Rosé, but they are primarily historical footnotes which were disallowed in 2010 (although it appears that none existed).

From Wikipedia: Champagne - Wikipedia

Answer: True

Great example and a bubbly I`m not familiar with. Any tasting notes?

For others FYI, this comes from NV Laherte Frères Champagne Les 7 Extra Brut

Aubry also does some Champagne from the less common varieties.

They were mentioned in the Wikipedia review.

I enjoy those a lot. They a recognizable as Champagne, and yet have something different going on there.

Blake, if you get back to town, I have some of Aubry’s BdB that includes Arbanne, Petit Meslier and Pinot Gris, aka Fromenteau for us to share.

Ah. Read too fast.

Cedric Bouchard makes a Champagne from Pinot Blanc (I believe 100%), called La Boloree. It’s usually a wonderful (if expensive) wine.

Jim, I thought of you when I posted this and knew you knew and probably have some of the exceptions. My next visit will be during the next college basketball season most likely after the first of the year. I`ll be in touch when that happens. Cheers.

Pierre Gerbais also does one. Less expensive, and probably less wonderful, but still very good! champagne.gif

Blake, here’s a note on the Laherte:

N.V. Laherte Frères Champagne Les 7 Extra Brut Champagne Blend
3/14/2015 - I LIKE THIS WINE:
93 points
Spicy, appley, peary nose, with s little nutty oxidation and hints of fresh thyme and rosemary. Full and rich, with subtle acidity supporting and delineating the fruit.

This was my favorite of 4 Lahertes tasted with Aurélien here in Atlanta, though I liked them all.

My next favorite was the N.V. Laherte Frères Champagne Rosé de Saignée Vieilles Vignes Les Beaudiers:

Tart cherry with a little citrus, round on the palate with nice acidity and a hint of tannin, it seems more like a wine that happens to be effervescent than a typical Champagne, which I mean as a compliment.

This is lovely at $55

2004 Fleury “Cuveé Robert Fleury” Extra Brut Champagne

Barrel-fermented Chardonnay, Pinot Noir, and Pinot Blanc, which is a real rarity in Champagne–it only exists in a few spots in the Aube and it adds a ton of body to this very rich wine. Fleury was one of the first to farm biodynamically in Champagne.

2004 Fleury "Cuveé Robert Fleury" Extra Brut Champagne - SKU 1140358

Much appreciated Mike. They both have appeal to my palate with those descriptors.

The Bouchard Pinot Blanc Champagne is well over $100 and not worth the price.

I suspected this thread might lead to some recommendations and sure enough, this is another to seek out and sip. Appreciate it.

I think I`ll stick with MV Krug like stuff in this instance.

You learn something every day. Thanks!

Second this. And Pierre Gerbais’ Originale is so-so, at best. In my experience, aside from Aubry’s more often than not spectacular Nombre d’Or, Drappier’s Quattuor is the most accomplished wine made up mostly of Champagne’s less conventional grape varieties.

Agrapart Complantee Extra Brut GC

ChampagneWine type: SparklingVarietals: White BlendVarietal notes: Pinot Noir, Pinot Meunier, Pinot Blanc, Arbane, Petit Meslier et Chardonnay
Organic: Practicing
Vineyard: Blend of Pinot Noir, Pinot Meunier, Pinot Blanc, Arbane, Petit Meslier and Chardonnay planted in 0.2 hectare vineyard of La Fosse in the village of Avize.
Soil: Limestone and clay
Viticulture: Practicing organic, hand-harvested.
Vinification: 50% 2011, 50% 2010.
Natural yeast fermentation in older 600L casks, full malolactic.
Aging: Spends four years on the lees with manual riddling. Limited to 5 grams of dosag, SO2 50mg/l. Disgorged March 2013, a minimum of 60 days prior to commercialization.
Production: Extremely limited Notes: This wine is intented to display Pascal’s notion that terroir trumps variety. He believes that 10 years from now, people will taste Complantée and guess it to be a tasty little Chardonnay from Avize. It is fresh and terroir-driven with lively acidity and tension

What? No Pinot Gris? The only missing varietal of the 7 possible.

Thanks for the info on this one. Im amazed as to how many exceptions there are to the rule, but leave it to the members of this board to reveal such. Its beserking.