Indigenous varieties of Piedmont - Dolcetto d'Alba DOC

The DOC Dolcetto was born on July 1974 from the vine variety of the same name and, for sure, has to be remembered as one of the most traditional and distinctive wines of Langhe’s wine territories. The production area is spread over the 35 municipalities of the Cuneo province located on the left bank of the Tanaro River.

The name dosset (dolsin in Piedmontese dialect or ormeasco in the adjacent Liguria), is misleading. In fact it sounds like dolce, ‘sweet’ in Italian, while this is everything but a sweet wine. Actually, it is dry and low in acidity, thus also making it pleasant at a young age.

Read more: http://www.baroloevent.com/en/vini-territorio/piemonte-divinum/dolcetto/

Is there an English equivalent of “dosset/dolsin”?

I had always assumed Dolcetto translated as “little sweet one”, when in fact it’s character tends to the gloriously bitter side. So, I assumed the name was intended with a bit of humor or irony, rather unlike the very on-the-nose “Negroamaro”.

And if you fail to respond with an interesting explanation and perhaps some related trivia that I find positively delightful, I’ll write you off like everyone else, you no-last-name possible spammer!

thread reported.