TN: '09 Raveneau Vaillons and '05 Domaine de Cristia CDP

• 2005 Domaine de Cristia Châteauneuf-du-Pape - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape (5/21/2015)
    My dear friend, Mr. Francois Mauss, always tells me that CDP is a winter wine that goes well with game, except Rayas! This definitely would have shown better in winter with a game based stew, perhaps venison. This is at the second stage where the fruit has settled down and the tertiary notes are starting to emerge. Ripe dark fruit, dry black cherry, raisin, plum, black spices, licorice, leather, strong tobacco note and garrigue. Very good concentration, dry dark fruit driven palate impression, warm and noticeable tannins that is slightly dry/coarse. This seems to be in slightly awkward stage and a bit more tertiary notes will enhance overall expression. I would recommend cellaring for another five years and served with a hearty dish or a fat piece of grilled meat. (90 pts.)
  • 2009 François Raveneau Chablis 1er Cru Vaillons - France, Burgundy, Chablis, Chablis 1er Cru (5/17/2015)
    Ravenau is the go to producer to lift my spirit and make me happy. Unlike the last bottle which showed tropical fruits, this is once again very precise and lean. It is all about saline, lanoline, honey and mineral. The fruit is white and cool, mountain stream, wax, strong presence of mineral and honey. Very good concentration, mineral and saline, cool citrus fruit driven palate impression, bright acidity and clean cool long finish. Not necessarily complex but just incredibly enjoyable. (93 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

I had a 2009 Raveneau Butteaux a while back. Just after opening it seemed fat and tropical, but after about half an hour of air it was really in character for Raveneau.

Kevin, as always you are spot on in your rating and in your incredibly rich vocabulary. I had this wine exactly 2 weeks ago in Paris and it was a great way to start the trip. I’d say my bottle combined your experience, initially seemed a bit voluptuous but with time it came into balance and focus. A treat to drink (as was the 07 Dauvissat Clos 2 nights later at same spot, which shall remain unnamed, and which was several notches better).

Henry,
I appreciate the kind words. I think I know the restaurant. Is it near montparnasse?