TN: 2013 Vietti Roero Arneis (Italy, Piedmont, Alba, Roero)

2013 Vietti Roero Arneis - Italy, Piedmont, Alba, Roero (5/19/2015)
Ordered off of a restaurant wine list, where this stood out as a notable value at only 1.5x retail cost. The wine actually outperformed the restaurant cost. Everyone at the table was very happy with the citrus and pear fruit, the bits of herb and a hint of nuttiness that complemented the wine variety of appetizers on the table. It was a very refreshing drink on a warm and humid night in Texas hill country. Had I know it was going to be such an outstanding bottle I would have ordered a fish main course and gotten a second bottle of this for the table.

Posted from CellarTracker

I haven’t had the 2013 but this is a very nice wine and exceptionally reliable. No one makes value whites like the Italians. So many good choices. Thanks for the note

I couldn’t agree more.

Funny, I feel the same about Italian reds. As large swaths of restaurant wine lists collapse under their own weight of optimistic mark ups, I often seek refuge in the affordable delights of Italian reds.

It was actually quite funny that the Arneis stood out as a clear and outstanding value on the restaurant list, where every single “value” red was a no-name (and in some cases bad name) wine. There was not a single “oh, that would be a good choice” red wine on the list for under $120.

Clearly they have a lot of red wine drinkers who just pay the price.

Another 2013 to look out for is the Giovanni Almondo Roero Arneis Bricco delle Ciliegie. Very very Arneis. Just delicious, and perfect for summer seafood.

I like this more than the Giacosa Roero Arneis…always reliable

This is now the longest ever thread on WB about arneis

Love the Vietti Arneis. I first had Arneis in about 1998 at a California Italian Varietals Trade Show in San Francisco. I liked it then and when Luca Corrado was pouring it a few years later at Zachy’s, I loved it. Crisp, fruity and light. Excellent pairing with seafood.

And just because we have gone on to mention other bottlings, I will again mention Idlewild Wines Arneis. It’s deliciously Arneis with a California bent.

A shout out to my buddy Rob Forman of Dalla Terra (the importer) for putting in the work!

He made the wine? :wink:

No but he’s the Dalla Terra guy in TX and I’m guessing most people would have no idea what that wine is out there if he wasn’t pimping it.