Quiet Monday night in the Barossa

Pretty special meal with good friends earlier in the week. A few good botts went down.

N.V. Egly-Ouriet Champagne Brut “Les Vignes de Vrigny” 1er Cru: Very dry with floral and spice notes. Good detail in the mouth. Rocky, creamy and direct. Crisp and gently meaty on the back-end.

2010 Château de la Maltroye Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru Dent de Chien: Not sure I’ve ever had a wine bound up with so much sulphur. There’s so much sappy, dense fruit on the palate but the nose starts off all smoky and nutty. It is only after a couple of hours in the glass that you get to feel some of the orchard fruit flavours coupled with generous lashings of spicy oak. It is textured and so intense with a really chewy finish loaded with dry extract. Needs plenty of time or a big decant if you want to tackle it now.

1990 Domaine Michel Noëllat Clos Vougeot: Dense, dark and chewy. Black fruits, liquorice and spice. There is plenty of flesh and very ripe fruit in the mouth. It is powerful with good underlying structure and plenty of grip to the finish

2002 Bodegas Vega-Sicilia Ribera del Duero Valbuena 5°: Expressive aromatics of salty plum, earth and vanilla. Quite glossy in the mouth with a polished feel. Sweet red berry fruit is trimmed with spice and earth. It has good volume and round tannins. A crowd pleaser.

2010 Cédric Parpette Côte-Rôtie Le Montmain: Very clean and fresh aromatics of plum, red berry, cassis and sweet cedar. Full, sweet and round in the mouth with some engaging floral spice and plenty of meat and earth. Lovely proportion and balance. Quite juicy with mouthwatering acidity. Me likes.

1999 Giuseppe Quintarelli Rosso del Bepi Veneto IGT: Slightly oxidative nose with whiffs of grilled nuts, chocolate, caramel and raisins. It has a sweet heart of dried fruits and some meaty, savoury nuance. It is rich and heady with a touch of spirit heat to the finish.

Cheers
Jeremy

Them’s some great Aussie wines.
Meanwhile I just bid on a bunch of 1990’s Shiraz.
Wine brings the world together.

Nice to read about Cédric Parpette doing well. I had bought a 2012 just due to low price (25€) for a Côte Rôtie. Did you get this in the US?

Alain

Hi Alain,

Dan Standish put on the Parpette. I suspect he may have sourced it from the States as I’m not sure if there is an Aussie importer.

Best Regards
Jeremy

Hi Jeremy

I believe there’s a sydney-based importer who does that.