Long Island wines in your collection

So I was reading a thread about the wineries on eastern end of Long Island. I have been going out there for almost 20 years. In all those trips over all those years I never had a ‘wow’ wine. Closet to it was Charles and Ursula’s late harvest Riesling (Paumanok). I have exactly 7 bottles of LI wines in my cellar which has over 1k bottles. 4 late harvest Rieslings, 2 chenin blancs (also Paumanok) and 1 pelligrini estate cab sav in magnum. So IMHO Long Island wineries have not come nearly as far as I had hoped/expected them too. I think their wines are sub-par and they ask way to much money for them generally speaking.
So my question is how many long islands do you have in your cellar and from which wineries.
I am willing to take a gamble that Paumanok will be the most common winery present in our collections.

I was there about a month ago. We visited Wolffer on the South Fork.
They had an Italian white grape, Trebbiano, blended with some chardonnay.
I liked it enough to split a case with my son-in-law.

Actually, its the same amount as I have of South African wines . . . zero. Over the years I’ve tried a dozen or so, but there is just nothing interesting to me. Some of the merlot I tasted was brutal whereas the whites were just ok.

I have zero in the cellar and I’ll admit that when I went out there a few times back in the day, i wasn’t as “serious” about wine as I am now.

That said, I remember loving Lenz’s gewurtz and really enjoying some of their merlot. Shinn estate and Bedell are solid, though unremarkable at their price points.

But long island is the same latitude as Bordeaux!!!

[rofl.gif]

Zero here. I’ve yet to have one that I consider worth buying, let alone cellaring. I do have a few bottles from the Finger Lakes, though.

As a long time Long Islander, I have been patiently waiting for the Quality of our wines to take the next step or steps to the next level. Sadly, they seem to be more interested in Tourism than what they put in the Bottle. The only increase I see is the price per bottle. It makes me sad. I wonder if the region will ever join the ranks. One can only hope.

I’ve had several at tastings, but have not found one that is worth buying. I don’t mean to be negative, but I’ve had better wines from Traverse City Michigan.

Try Roanoke Wunery merlot Gabbys vineyard

Did I say merlot? I meant Cabernet franc…sorry

2 in cellar. No others

LI = Fetch

For Christmas I was given a Merlot from a famous NASCAR dude who opened an estate in the emerging (?) wine region of North Carolina. That quickly put an end to my East Coast wine curiosity.

I currently have none. As a LI’er, I have tried a few wineries. IMO I have not found any value or any wines that jump out at me and say let’s buy a case or join their wine club. But if out there, I will stop at Paumanok, do a tasting, and always buy something. I do like their Cabernet Franc usually, and have found their 2010 Assemblage to be quite tasty.

It has been over 40 years since people started making wines on the island. How long could it possibly take for improvements? I do enjoy spending a day out east a few times a year but I am saddened that the wines haven’t improved. I have seen progression in other wine regions (OR, Sonoma, Chile, etc) and am wondering why there is no progression/improvements here. I understand its too small of a region to go commercial/ sell around the country but still after 40 years you would figure the soil would be better, wine makers would learn from their predecessors, adjusting for the region/climate/other factors would have caused improvements of the years.

If its any consolation for those who are not aging them, they only grow more unpleasant with bottle age.

paumanok. about 2 cases. they’ve been making a new chard called minimalist which i really love. has a little bit of a more cali profile than the other chards they make. also have a few cab francs and merlot and some chenin which is quite good and easily sells out every year.

besides that, once you meet charles massoud, there’s no way you’re not buying [cheers.gif]

I’m more positive on LI than the consensus, but not by much. As local wines, some are okay, but certainly not worth seeking out if you live outside the region. Paumanok’s Cheniin Blanc is worthwhile, expecially given the dearth of domestic Chenin Blanc, and overall their other offerings are decent. Shinn Estate is decent quality as well.

If you want to buy NYS wines, the Finger Lakes is a much happier hunting ground.

Now that’s just a cheap shot and nothing more. No, they are not going to magically transform into something profound, but in my experience the better ones age just as well as most wines of decent quality. And the bad ones, no doubt, age just poorly as bad wines from other regions.

Disagree. Age is most unkind to wines without intrinsic quality that have been made up with oak et al, especially if those wines have flavors that are as underripe as the LI wines do. Its not just that the LI wines are bad, its how they are bad - they are the bad sort of $40 vanity bottle that has too much grainy oak and has a spoofy hit of fruit concealing a certain green meanness underneath that never goes away.