2010 Biggio Hamina Zenith

Toddy,

This wine is in a good place. I haven’t checked in on this wine in a year or so, and really happy with where it is. This is not the most complex wine I have ever had, but for the lighter side of Oregon Pinot it’s very balanced with decent structure.

The fruit, acid, tannin backbone are all inline. I have tried all the 2010s and this is my favorite followed by the deaux vert.

Have three left, and looking forward to seeing how these evolve.

Thanks for the update. I loved this wine when I tasted it early on, pre labeling, and now have a bottle on deck.

I am kind of planning on rolling through a bunch of my 2010 Oregon Pinot while the 08s & 11s sleep.

Jason

Good to hear I’m not alone, Jason. The 08’s just don’t show that well right now so it feels wasteful opening them, and the 11’s really need time. 2010 is my favorite vintage in Oregon and I bought a lot, but it still kind of feels like baby killing. They are so damn delicious and balanced, however, and have pretty much been accessible since release. But part of me wants to let them age and see how they will evolve, so I end up feeling guilty drinking them, too! I’m sitting on the few 07’s I have left to let them get to age 10, at least.

To avoid too much thread drift, count me in as a fan of BH wines. Todd’s 11’s rock too!

You should’ve bought more 07s Ron! Restock some AFWE leaning 12s and add some early 13s. The better 10’s have so much potential that it would be babykilling. Later this summer might be a good time check on some 08s. [wink.gif]

Hard to imagine needing to wait too much longer to catch a glimpse.

RT

yes, time for a glimpse!!

Only if I can sit by you guys, again grouphug

I think the 08’s may suffer the same long delay of 99. And yes, the 10 Z is easy to like right now. Thanks.

Todd, you’re starting to sound like a Bourguignon.

RT

Is that bad Richard?

Yes and no.

Yes, if you expect your Pinots to be open and accessible 24/7 (Cali PN anyone? [wink.gif])…and No, if “vous etes fier d’etre comme les bourguignons”.

RT

I suppose I’m good then.

Maybe for the 08 tasting we should have 1 bottle opened at 8am and 1 at noon?

Or perhaps just 37 decanters on hand…

So is it 08 at Walter Scott?

37 decanters is pure genius.

[resizeableimage=350,350]https://d1jqecz1iy566e.cloudfront.net/large/mtl035.jpg[/resizeableimage]

RT

Steve Miller should weigh in…

Shouldn’t we have a magic 08 ball? We can ask it when the wines will be ready…

[thumbs-up.gif] [dance-clap.gif]

Ron, Andy has the reins and is quite busy. It’ll all work out soon!

RT

Doing 08’s may give us a glimpse into what proportion of the 08’s, assuming the wines at the tasting are representative, are ready to drink. However, as others have mentioned (decanter jokes), this is not the ideal situation for wines that will likely need some air time to show well. Perhaps we should decide upon some kind of double-decanting protocol prior to the tasting? Or, we could drink 07s (again – but I wasn’t there for that first one so it wouldn’t be “again” for me).

Charlie’s note on the 2012 version of this wine inspired me to reach into my cellar (fridge, whatever) to grab the 2010.

• 2010 Biggio Hamina Cellars Pinot Noir Zenith Vineyard - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Eola - Amity Hills (3/8/2016)
    Pours a translucent ruby red. Significant amount of floral notes on the nose, with red berry, strawberry and Christmas spice and just a glimmer of green notes.

The palate is delicious. Flavors of raspberry, beetroot, strawberry without the sweetness, and a green herbal note – attributable to the 47% whole cluster – that adds an umami complexity. Tannins are medium- and well integrated with med+ acidity. There’s a nice mineral note that comes to the fore on the finish. This is really delicious and a pleasure to drink. This wine will improve with age, but it’s so seductive in its youth that it’s hard to resist. 91+ (91 pts.)

Posted from SmellarSmacker