Mugneret-Gibourg Ruchottes-Chambertin

• 2011 Domaine Georges Mugneret-Gibourg Ruchottes-Chambertin - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Ruchottes-Chambertin Grand Cru (4/26/2015)

The wine has an intense color and a deep perfume. On the palate supple, rich, and rounded with black fruit and earth. Wonderful balanced with a long refined finish. This is a brilliant Ruchottes!

Barry Rothof

Posted from CellarTracker

Many thanks. Have a few of these but mine will sleep for a while yet!

Lucky you, I opened a Bourgogne rouge 2011 from Mugneret Gibourg and it is terrible and affected by the bitter plague (call it what you want…). Glad to hear other wines may not be affected

One of the most undervalued Grand Crus! Have had it and agree. Delicious juice.

Undervalued? $350 - $500+/bottle retail is a bargain?

Yes, in all honesty…the wine is typically beautiful. I’ve had tastes of maybe 4 vintages from and after 2006. At La Paulee this year, I watched NYC restaurateur Drew Nieporent stroll up to their table, politely greet the ladies, ask for the Ruchottes, briefly extol it’s virtues…exchange a brief pleasantry and walk away without sipping anything else.

RT

2012 Ruchttes 2013 was my highlight of the en primeur 2013…not that I’ll be able to get any…

More like $200 all in on release here fortunately. That’s assuming you can get any of course!

Yeah, but you have to live in England to get those prices.

[wink.gif]

All I can say reading this thread is “ouch”…such a great wine…such potential…and it didn’t even make it to its 4th birthday.

In 1988, during my first visit there, I met Dr. Georges who was then clearly in ill health (he died within a couple of months). Parker had extolled the '85 Ruchottes and I asked to buy a couple there. Mrs. M. said she would have to ask him (Christine was there then, but Marie-Andree was still a student.) So, she took us into his office where he was sitting with a friend/doctor. He said ok on a couple of bottles (he had bigger issues to deal with and I felt bad even bothering him.) I felt I owed him a minimum of 20 years on those bottles…and I did that. It probably wasn’t enough to show their greatness. I didn’t realize it at the time I bought them or maybe when I drank them even.

A '90 drunk last year was just getting “there”.

Their other wines benefit from that type of age, too…

Such potential there…from their Bourgogne to their CV…prob their top wine.

A recent 93 CV was good, but at least ten years from its best, imho. Glad I have a few more!

I don’t pay that price Richard. I guess I get the good price from a more direct source.

Also, I meant compared to Rousseau Beze, Chambertin, Roumier Amoureuses, Mugnier Musigny and a few others… Yes, I put Gibourg next to those wines all-day-long and often above.

The wines are a LOT different since the ladies took over / after their fathers passing.

wow, I don’t know many with pre-1988 Mugneret experience. The sisters are also wonderful people in addition to great winemakers. They make great wine while still respecting the heritage of their father–witness the “new” name of the domaine–Georges Mugneret-Gibourg, previously Mugneret-Gibourg, previously Georges Mugneret.

+1. Would love to know about direct experiences with earlier wines.

I love their wine very pure and classic. Finding them and affording them is an entirely different matter

Yes…they are a much different style. But…so are most of the wines of Burgundy in that time period. Dr. Georges stopped making wine after the 1986 vintage. In my view, around the '85 vintage is when almost all domaines I followed changed styles…give or take a year or two. Clearly, almost all ‘83s (and I have a couple of Dr. Georges’ '83s in magnum left) were made in an “old” style…changes came therafter and pretty much by the '88 vintage accross Burgundy.

But, the wines are clearly more modern and clean since the sisters (along with their mother) took over. (Hygeine changes were a big factor in the region; there was much more emphasis on hygeine after the mid-'80s, when the boomers really took over.)

And, to pick a nit with this…the estate was always called “Georges Mugneret” as long as I remember…until it changed to " Georges Mugneret-Gibourg". The holdings were always divided into “Georges Mugneret” and “Mugneret-Gibourg” depending on whether Dr. Georges had bought and owned them…or inherited them from his mother (and father). The name of domaine makes it hommage to both sources.

A few years ago, I was with a group of five experienced Burgundy drinkers, when we were served, blind, a very enjoyable, satisfying wine. We all guessed the vintage to be between 1991 and 1993, and a majority thought the wine was from Gevrey. When the wine was revealed to be a 1994 Mugneret-Gibourg Ruchottes, we were all shocked by the vintage, and each said he would buy the wine, if available.

They made excellent '94s…elegant wines, not suprisingly. Very impressive in 1996; I remember. Only a few estates excelled in '94 in red: they were up there with Rousseau, IMO. Still have a Ruchottes.

Baby killing is not a crime, when the babies are bottles of wine. I often do it when I have four or more bots, or even three bots.

If not a “crime”, Lew, I consider it a waste or a shame, when so much potential is killed so young.

Of course, people can do what they want with their purchases. But, how anyone can conclude that a 3 1/2 year old grand cru is “a brilliant Ruchottes” is beyond me.

I guess I have more of an issue with broadcasting such intfanticide…more than doing it…in private. [soap.gif]

True dat, Stuart. We do tend to wear disguises and hooded sweatshirts… LOL.