2002 Swan, 2006 Alesia, 2005 Loring, 2004 Ata Rangi, 2011 St Innocent

• 2002 Joseph Swan Vineyards Zinfandel Mancini Ranch - USA, California, Sonoma County, Russian River Valley (4/23/2015)
    A very good bottle. Drinking well right now.
  • 2006 Rhys Alesia Syrah Fairview Ranch - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Lucia Highlands (4/23/2015)
    Stumbled across this at the locker and it was not in CT so I figured it was a freebie. I was mistaking this for the overly stinky 2005 until I checked CT. This was nice and clean. On the first night the nose reminded me of spring water. Maybe a whole cluster element. Clean red fruits on the palate. On the second night it had developed more savory elements and became more rhone like. The acidity was juicy and very present.

• 2005 Loring Wine Company Pinot Noir Garys’ Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Lucia Highlands (4/21/2015)
    Had over 2 nights. Only note is to say that for a vineyard I generally dislike and from a producer that says to drink their wines young, I thought this was mighty fine. Lots of fresh dark fruits. Acidity is a bit out of whack but not too distracting.

• 2004 Ata Rangi Pinot Noir - New Zealand, North Island, Wairarapa, Martinborough (4/15/2015)
    This was a bit odd. At times it was enjoyable but simple. At other times the band aid brett factor was distracting. Definitely some plastic elements. The fruit was still fresh. I had this over 2 nights and while it was fine, it was night inspiring. (86 pts.)

• 2011 St. Innocent Pinot Noir Temperance Hill - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley (1/11/2015)
    I had this over 4 days. The wine improved each day. Not much more to say other than it is just awesome. And a terrific value. I used to not think much of the Temperance Hill bottlings but they are just getting better and better. (93 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Hey Jason,

On the Loring — was the acid out of whack in that it was apparent? I always found 2005 to be a high acid year in the SLH…didn’t know if that is what you still found or not.

Thanks,

Adam Lee
Siduri Wines

Hi Jason,

Thanks, it was interesting to read your note on the Ata Rangi. I can see where you’re coming from if I wouldn’t rate it as lowly as you.

I buy a 6 pack of Ata Rangi every vintage and I’m down to my last bottle of the 2004 (for a 10 year vertical, I’ll do when the 2013 is released). It has always been an odd, atypical wine, due to (from memory) the very poor vintage conditions that year. It’s atypically light and lean. About 3 years ago when I last did an AR 10 year vertical, the 2004, with the 2005, was the least preferred, except by one Burgundy drinker who was actually intrigued by it. I don’t recall brett, but I may have just seen that as savoury complexity. [wow.gif]

At least it’s good to hear that the fruit was alive …

Cheers, Howard

St I Temperance Hill is good stuff. I loved the 11’s and was surprised to see another taster whose palate I respect not liking the 11’s from Mark.

Hmmm… off the cuff note on what I was tasting. But in a way yes. Maybe I have never been a big fan of the way the 2005s acid gelled with the wines. I generally like wines on the higher acid side but it just didn’t seem in sync with the rest of the wine. No noticeable tannins and the acid came off as very grapefruity. But in the end I enjoyed the wine a lot, as did my friends.

Not sure that is helpful.

Cheers,

Jason

In 2011, the Temperance Hill was the clear winner of all of the St I lineup. I haven’t popped one since tasting at the winery, I’m glad to see it is drinking well, at least over days. Still, it sounds like it needs to sleep more.

Howard, thanks for the info. I really don’t know much about NZ pinot and didn’t really follow this wine through the years. I might track some more down especially since you mention this wine being atypical.

Cheers,

Jason