TN: 2007 Wind Gap Wines Syrah Castelli-Knight Vineyard

2007 Wind Gap Wines Syrah Castelli-Knight Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Russian River Valley (4/25/2015)
My initial impressions of this wine were of ripe blackberry and black cherry fruit and a roasted meat quality followed up by warm, fragrant herbs and a hint of bitterness on the finish. As the wine opened up over the course of 30 minutes the herbal elements became more pronounced, and were joined by an earthiness that added to the overall complexity of the wine. I did not pick up much in terms of tannin, at least in comparison to the fruit level, but the wine had sufficient acids to provide structure. Overall it did a very good job of managing its un-Wind Gap 14.9% alcohol, with no heat evident on the nose or palate. I tend to find higher alcohol wines tiring to drink but that was not the case here.

I am looking forward to seeing how it evolves over several hours, and pairs with my grilled steak at dinner. This is my last bottle, so I will not get the opportunity to see how further cellar time treats the wine, but based on this showing I have no fears for at least 3-5 more years.

Posted from CellarTracker

Thanks for sharing. Sounds like my kind of syrah!

Not really. It had a cork. :wink:

It’s still what’s INSIDE the bottle that matters the most, my friend . . . :slight_smile:

I really enjoyed the black olive and gaminess of this wine as it opened up. Great RRV fruit up front. Had it alongside a 2007 WG Griffin’s Lair and it shone.

We loved this wine tonight, lots of tapenade and just a touch of cured meat. Delicious but there was a bit of noticeable heat. You got em go for it, peaking.
image.jpeg