TN: 2013 Arterberry Maresh Pinot Noir Dundee

• 2013 Arterberry Maresh Pinot Noir Dundee - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Dundee Hills (4/25/2015)
    A little one-dimensional. Needs a few hours to flesh out. Good red and black fruits. Miles away from the Arterberry single vineyards, but at less than half price, that makes sense, I just expected a wee-bit more though. The Biggio Hamina rocked compared to this. Same price-point. (87 pts.)

I’ve only had the 2012 vintage of this wine twice…once it rocked and the other time it was a shame to open it…both times I thought the wine deserves time in the cellar. Is it possible that this just needs time to settle out in bottle?

Sounds like your note describes the cheaper Dundee Hills bottling, whereas the title refers to the SV bottling, unless I’m mistaken, which I may be.

The bottles I bought were like $50+ each - are we talking the same wine?

The Maresh Vyd Pinot is an SVD. Has it been released for 2013? Dundee Hills bottling?

RT

I purchased 2 bottles of 2013 Arterberry Maresh Pinot Noir Maresh Vineyard @ $58 each which have delivered. I haven’t tried them and wasn’t aware of a more expensive SVD.

My mistake. I fixed it. Yes, the Dundee. Please forgive me!!
The Maresh is awesome. Rest peaceful, Scott

Mike, one of the best bang-for-the-buck Dundee Hills Pinots, IMHO, is from J. Christopher (Jay Somers). Haven’t seen his '13 on the market yet. All his Pinots are worth tasting if you haven’t.

RT

FYI, the old note is still showing up under the 2012 Maresh Vyd.

The only 13s I’ve opened so far have been the Cameron WV and Vincent Ribbon Ridge. Both have been fantastic.

Like Kirk, I’ve also had only the 2012 version of the Dundee Hills. I thought the wine was surprisingly rough hewn and clunky. I’m hopeful that it just needs time to settle down and have cellared my remaining bottles.

The 2013 Dundee I believe has two of the single vineyards mixed in it. This tells me it will need a lot more time than other vintages of AM Dundees and should not be as lush and user friendly on release as, say, the magnificent $25 2008. I think AM Maresh was the only single vineyard released in 2013.

For readers not familiar with this winery, Arterberry Maresh is the winery, Arterberry Maresh Dundee is what this thread is about – under $30 and disappears quickly – and Arterberry Maresh Maresh is one of their single vineyard bottlings at $60 or less. Confusing as heck. If it says Maresh once, it’s probably Dundee. If it says Maresh twice, it’s single vineyard.

For the 2013 Dundee Hills (25 .00) they declassified 4 of their single vineyards and blended them in. At a tasting it was singing and for the price, a great value point.

From Neal Martin’s Oregon notes on Oregon, quoting Jim Maresh: “In 2012, the Pinot Noir was so clean. I hardly needed to spray at all. I just pick grapes at the right time. I don’t go round waiting for flavor to develop. You’re not getting more flavor, just different flavor. My palate is in the minority. I enjoy the 2012s, however, I love wine in the 12 percent range, so for me personally, many of the 2012s are too warm. Then 2013 was a disaster for me. The rain that hit us was ridiculous and I’ll be selling off a bunch of Dundee Hills wine directly."

Sounds like his take on the wine is similar to Mike’s…

Should have sold it all.

I had this the other night too, and I agree with your assessment to a point. It opened up considerably hours later, and was really rocking at that point. I would let this rest a bit.

Second bottle was way off. Tons of acetone notes and sour cranberries. Palate just as bad. Hope it’s an off bottle…

Let me throw in a note on the 2014 Arterberry Maresh Pinot. The wine arrived earlier this week after its journey from the winery to me.
I thought it was delicious. Bright red fruit and while light in weight, it offered plenty of character and flavor to enjoy. Just a great pairing with last night’s dinner.

2014 Arterberry Maresh Pinot Noir Dundee Hills - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Dundee Hills
Pop and pour and served with food (cheese ravioli in a crimini mushroom and truffle sauce, in case you were wondering). Followed for about 4 hours both with food and then on its own.
Such a good pairing of the wine with food. The truffle sauce was delicious, made with crimini mushrooms, black truffle paste and butter. The wine shows bright red berries with a bit of tart acidity. Light in texture but good depth of flavor. Some spice and herbal elements kick in. The bright red berry fruit paired well with the earthy mushroom and truffle flavors.

Tony, was this 2014 the entry level pinot or the single vineyard Maresh pinot? The email I received from Jim A. states that the latter is the best since 2008. That’s saying a lot. I skipped the '13s but will probably buy some '14s.

I’ve been thinking about trying some of these for some time. I better get on the bus, they sound right in my zone.

My note is on the regular entry level Dundee Hills wine and not the Maresh SVD.
The 2014 Maresh Vineyard PN was just offered for sale with shipping scheduled for February 2016.