Hotdogs and wine.

My wife is out of town, and my 17 year old son decided he wanted hot dogs on the grill. This is a dinner we would never have if mom was home, so I said sure. We head to Raleys and he buys the largest hot dogs he can find and extra large buns.

I fire up the egg and grill the dogs till they are bursting and crispy on the outside. I then pull the dogs and heat up the buns for a minute or two.

We all know you can’t have dinner without wine on a Friday, but I have never tried to pair wine with a hotdog. I finally selected a 2004 hommage max Arcadian Syrah. I must say it was stellar.

Arcadian again shows its depth and in this case fun quotient. Really great wine for an excellent price.

Sounds terrific.

I wish my Dad poured me 11 year old Arcadian Syrah with hotdogs when I was 17.

Well Joe, I suppose you will have to live vicariously through me :slight_smile:.

Good choice. I was thinking Zin, but Syrah is great with grilled meat like hot dogs.

I was thinking Zion as well but sounds like you made the perfect choice. Thanks for the note.

La Tache works well with a lightly spiced chili.

Isn’t there a story behind this or did people just give you grief for pairing chili with La Tache?

Is there a wine that goes with raw onions on the dogs or do I have to caramelize them? :slight_smile:

Slightly off topic but kimchee hot dogs are da bomb!

SQN?

That goes with everything. It’s kind of like 2007 CdP in that sense.

But I have a question.

This is a dinner we would never have if mom was home, so I said sure. We head to Raleys and he buys the largest hot dogs he can find and extra large buns.

Why?

BTW, ever pick up anything from the Sausage Factory in Carson City? I mean Raleys is nice and all but . . .

Yeah. I was lucky to get Manischewitz. I try to average up with my two sons, who like Scarecrow and SQN whites.

No thought of riesling? My go-to for sausages (because a hotdog is nothing if not a sausage…).

Not sure if you’re serious, but raw onions ruin any wine for me. My palate doesn’t recover for quite some time.

Rose. Hotdogs. BBQ. Relish. Hot weather. = Rose. [worship.gif]

Or Gamay

God gave us beer. This is a good time to use it.

To answer your question, we only eat together as a family on Friday and Saturday nights, and now that our son is working, even that slips many weeks.

So in short for the one to two nights we would eat together we would never cook hotdogs.

I actually typically drink Riesling with hot dogs (especially with kraut, choucroute on a bun), though I’ve also enjoyed with roses or lighter styled reds like the Dashe l’Enfant Terrible or a Beaujolais.

No need to be snooty. Hotdogs are German’s gift to the world!

Beef or pork?