TN : 2009 Meursault Genevrieres - Yves Boyer-Martenot

I haven’t posted a tasting note for some time but this wine was so good this evening that it prompted me to write some impressions.

Partnered the wine with a grilled fresh filet of Coho salmon, with fresh salad and grilled vegetables.

The 2009 Meursault Genevrieres from Boyer-Martenot really delivered. Pale straw in colour; aromas of freshly cut white fruit and gentle floral filled the nostrils; snappy acidity; well balanced wine; some early citrus followed by ripe pear and white peach flavours, moving along to a fruit stone flavour, then moving back to the pear, peach and some melon; extended out to a long finish with the peach and pear lasting.

At 5 years of age, the wine is extremely attractive, but should develop further nuances over the next few years.

With all of the talk about early oxidation in white Burgundies, I have elected to drink mine earlier. Last week I opened a bottle of 2005 Chassagne-Montrachet Les Vergers from Guy Amiot, and it was marvelous.

Musical accompaniment through dinner was an album cut by two Edmonton friends, P.J. Perry on alto and tenor saxophone, and Tommy Banks on piano. the album is titled “Old Friends”…indeed good friends! They recorded this duet album about a year and a half ago. On Wednesday of this week we had dinner at the University of Alberta Faculy Club, and P.J. And Tommy were playing for a fund raiser. It seemed a natural to pull this album out for dinner music this evening. Both artists have had a long career in jazz, and Tommy served for a number of years on the Canadian Government Senate.

Hank [cheers.gif]

great note, Hank. Glad to see all is well.

Thanks, Alan. Yes, now just back from our Winter home in Tucson…tax time this coming week; yard cleanup; mail that piles up after months away; etc…but also back to pulling some Burgundies from the cellar. [basic-smile.gif]

Looking ahead to attending The Wine Summit again in Lake Louise the last week in May, where the featured producers will include Krug, Chateau Pichon Lalande and Faiveley, among others.

Hank [cheers.gif]