TN: 1975 Château Malescot St. Exupéry (France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Margaux)

For the folks turning 40 this year. Limited but not strong reviews on Cellartracker… this was a good bottle. 5 hour Audoze, did not decant off sediment.

• 1975 Château Malescot St. Exupéry - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Margaux (4/24/2015)
    First bottle from sealed wooden case. Mid to Top shoulder fill. Cork came out intact but fairly soaked through.

Crystalline mahogany color with a 3mm clear meniscus.

Nose of perigord truffles, pencil lead, damp earth and plums.

Very soft on the palate with crisp red fruits evolving into umami flavors later in the palate. Clearly resolved but in this condition looking forward to a long twilight.

Initially rated 90, upgraded a point as it evolved in the glass. Lovely wine.
(91 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

I’m glad someone enjoyed 1975

Having beat you to 40 by a few months, I can report that the Phelps Eisele, Diamond Creek - Red Rock Terrace & Yquem are all very much alive and delicious

Actually I’ve got a couple of years to go Will. A Mondavi Reserve 77 opened last month was excellent though.

Clayton, good to hear that a 1975 Bordeaux was drinking well.

I recently went to a Geoff Kelly single blind tasting of 1975 Bordeaux and Bordeaux varieties wines (Australia and the US). There were a number of Bordeaux that were too lean, acidic and underripe but there were some good ones (in order I liked the Montrose, Leoville Las Cases and then the Leoville Barton). The Lafite Rothschild was a huge disappointment, perhaps the poorest First Growth (sound bottle) I’ve had. (The wine of the tasting was the Heitz Martha’s Vineyard that everyone, including me, had as the Lafite Rothschild).

Cheers, Howard

Great note!

Thank you!