TN: NV Vilmart & Cie Champagne Grand Cellier Brut (France, Champagne)

NV Vilmart & Cie Champagne Grand Cellier Brut - France, Champagne (4/17/2015)
When I opened this on Friday night I thought it had been in the cellar for about 8 years. Turns out I had bought it 11 years ago. What a fantastic surprise this was. The flavors were full and rich, with lots of fresh nuts, wheat toast and bright apple. The mouse was still very vibrant, and the finish was fresh and persistent. This was even more of a pleasant surprise looking at the old $39.99 price sticker!

Posted from CellarTracker

Get to the Montagne and its cheaper than that today!

Lovely stuff I agree. My oldest are approaching that age now…

It’s around $65 for the current release, but still well priced, IMO.

Vilmart is making some great Champagnes.

Plane tickets kind of negate the cost savings on the wine.

But the fun makes up for it…:wink:

Thanks for the note, David; I just got a couple that I’d ordered back in 2012, for $45/bottle. I’ve never been disappointed by further aging a NV Champagne.

Warren, $65? I paid $50 for some y/day.

bought a case for $50 per recently.

NV Vilmart & Cie Champagne Premier Cru Grand Cellier Brut - France, Champagne, Champagne Premier Cru (4/25/2020)
– popped and poured –
– tasted non-blind over a couple hours –
– December 2016 disgorgement –
– 70% Chardonnay, 30% Pinot Noir –

NOSE: apples galore! lightly “green” and “fresh” — like early morning dew on green foliage.

BODY: medium-light bodied; light maize color.

TASTE: apples; green grapes; high acidity; moderate to moderate+ richness, but it has great cut and isn’t too heavy; didn’t go through malo. Although I’ve always liked this bottling, this bottle, in particular, seems especially good — I do wonder if the 3 years in bottle post-disgorgement have helped it out some; paired very well with pork stir-fry and Asian slaw. Gut impression score; 91 – 92.

Can someone please list the different labels produced by Vilmart? Perhaps from most “prestigious” to the least? I get them confused, but I have not had one that I did not like!

Grand Reserve
Grand Celler
Grand Celler d’Or
Coeur de Cuvee

Cuvee Rubis (Rose)

they used to make some others like Cuvee Creation but haven’t in awhile.

1 Like

Merrill, see Post 34, which will expand on Michael’s data. Zoom Event--Laurent Champs of Vilmart & Brad Baker--Saturday, May 9th @ 10AM PT, 1PM ET - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers

Vilmart rocks!!!

I’ve been tapping a case I bought 5 years ago and lost in the cellar—$50/b. It’s got a real sweet midpalate.

I’ve been on a Vilmart run lately with a Grand Cellier, an 08 Grand Cellier d’Or, 05 Coeur de Cuvee, Cuvee Rubis, and a 14 Grand Cellier d’Or. All have been excellent with the 05 CdC and the 08 Grand Cellier at the top of the group.