Kirkland?

Just recently went to a wine party where someone brought a Kirkland Cabernet…surprisingly I thought it was pretty damn good for the value.
Am I crazy? I’m starting to think Kirkland everything is pretty good haha.

Kirkland housing prices… Not good! :wink:

I mentioned it in another thread…

Lately, I’ve been drinking the 2012 Kirkland Oakville Cab. I’ve gone through probably 18 bottles.

$18.96 for 2012 Oakville Cab juice? That’s a bargain for a very good vintage. It drinks really well, especially for the price.

Don’t get me wrong, I’ll never bring it to a party, but for Tuesday night wine when I’m watching TV? Fo-SHO. Last summer I went through a lot of their 2012 Sonoma Coast Chard. It was like 7 bucks. Damn fine value.

Our dog loves their kibble, their shampoo is a QPR winner & they make a damn fine tall kitchen bag.

Haven’t had the wine.

Kirkland Champagne is legit. It’s made by Manuel Janisson and performs well in blind tastings with big house NVs.

I’ve never given any real thought on Kirkland wine, but I’ll think twice during my next Costco run. Given the fact that I like other Kirkland products, I hope that extends to wine! Not like my girlfriend can taste the difference between Kirkland and Shafer, anyway.

Yeah, a friend of mine always has the Kirkland Champagne onhand, so I have tried it several times and it is decent. It is definitely on the low end for champagne, but nice enough. I’m not sure what other champagne you can get for $20.

Joel. I’m glad you like it, but I can’t tell what the style is (assuming there is a discernible style year-to-year) from your comments. Is the Cab a plush fruit bomb, with oak chips, or a stripped down leaner version of “Oakville Cab” juice? That would be useful information for a prospective buyer. Likewise, is the Chard made in a crisper, refreshing style with little or no wood, or characterized by tropical fruit and butter?

Hmm. depends on whether you are buying or selling of course. :slight_smile:

I liked the 2010 Oakville cab better than the 2012. Wonder if they ramped up production?? You can’t beat the champagne for $20.

I have never had a ‘terrible’ Costco wine, and have quite a bit of the Oakville cabernet myself. I always buy some of that, the Russian River pinot, and just bought some Williamette Valley for $14.99 2012, but haven’t tried it yet. I always buy some of the $19.99 CDP as well. The trash bags kick ass, too. and bacon

I assume that overall, Kirkland wines are decent and offer pretty good value. I also assume they aren’t for the most part better wine and/or better value than the best wines a knowledgeable wine geek could find out there at their price points and in their categories.

So it becomes rather interesting, to me, to think about how the Kirkland brand becomes a plus or a minus to a given buyer. I’ll admit, to me, it’s a minus. If I want $19 Napa cab, I’ll buy Buehler or Mondavi or BV Rutherford or something like that, many of which are available in the adjoining bins in Costco. If I want $10 New Zealand Sauv Blanc, I’ll buy Villa Maria or Oyster Bay or something instead of Kirkland.

But I think some people rather delight in it being Kirkland, and that’s cool too.

Well depending on who you ask, 2010 is a better vintage than 2012. It may be made from some bulked out juice, but the vintage effect is still in play.

Huh? I thought 2010 was an abnormally cool year with some disastrous heat spikes before harvest. And wasn’t 2012 a remarkably fantastic, almost perfect, growing season? [scratch.gif]

2012 was a warm year, huge crop, plush and low acid wines. Easier to make a decent wine, but the highs aren’t very high. I guess it depends on what you like. I’d take 2010 from a good producer any day. When we’re talking Kirkland-grade wine, I’m less sure, but I’d probably still take 2010.

Cracked a 2012 Oakville Cab just now. Will report back.

Just cracked a 2011 Columbia Valley Red…not bad fresh out of the bottle, will see how it evolves

Had the Willamette last night and enjoyed it. Bright pinot fruit, medium bodied and no detectable oak. Slightly higher acid but I feel that kept it fresh. Bought six more today. [cheers.gif]

I’m sure most people know this, but Costco is the largest wine buyer in the United States right now, and thus has immense purchasing power. Given the low margins they require on just about everything they sell, it really wouldn’t surprise me that their Kirkland brand would stand up to most daily drinkers.

I’m pretty sure they are getting offered very good excess juice for their brand stuff alongside other nicer name brand products.

Anyone ever try the Kirkland Vodka? Ever look at where it’s made and taste is side by side with Grey Goose?

[cheers.gif]

+1

Some of their spirits are good too. I’ve liked the bourbon and silver tequila; wife thinks the rums and vodka are good too. Those are the house ‘well’ liquors, when making something mixed.

They pushed out some Rioja this year, which I don’t think I’d seen before. It was not so good. Their RRV pinot was ok, not very bright but lots of fruit. I think the chards are ok but it seems there are other interesting ones for not much more.

The turnover at my costco in the wine dept is pretty high, so its hard to be sure what will be there at any time, especially beyond their own house stuff.