13 Aubert, 00 l'Ermite, 02 Littorai, & 05 Corté Riva

• 2013 Aubert Chardonnay Ritchie Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (4/5/2015)
    Give some airtime and this wine starts singing. White stoney fruits with a subdued rich smokiness. It seems like I either love or hate these chardonnays. The wine is big and intense but maybe because of its youthfulness, it does not become fatiguing. And at this stage it shows none of the trademark searing heat. Lots of complexity and just enough acidity to keep it fresh. Probably too young to even guess about ageability but why not just drink it now. (94 pts.)

• 2000 M. Chapoutier Ermitage l’Ermite - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Hermitage (4/5/2015)
    Easter dinner was in full swing so I don’t have much for notes on this wine other than to say it is coming along nicely. The flavors are impressively clean and powerful. I personally like where this is at with some air time, but I think it will continue to develop for years to come.

• 2002 Littorai Pinot Noir Thieriot Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (3/16/2015)
    Nailed it. Still so fresh. Sorry for the weak note. Too busy enjoying. (94 pts.)

• 2005 Corté Riva Cabernet Franc - USA, California, North Coast, Napa / Sonoma (3/7/2015)
    This wine was a delicious, borderline cocktail wine but when I had it in 2007 and I wondered how it would develop. It is still terrific and seemingly young. I big viscous cab franc that is very tasty. (92 pts.)

Cheers,

Jason

Posted from CellarTracker

Nice drinking, Jason. I have also found myself in your dilemma on the Aubert Chardonnays. I am surprised that the 2013 was showing that well at this early juncture. I have not taken a look for about a year at anything Aubert - might need to rectify that.

One of the younger Auberts I have had. Maybe that’s the key :wink: . I am not a purchaser but have a family member that buys so I get to taste fairly regularly. I have been gifted a few bottles, over the years, which I have buried. Many claim these will age wonderfully but I am a bit skeptical. But I’ll be happy to be wrong. Won’t be the first time.

btw Love the new avatar!

Cheers,

Jason

I’m surprised too, but glad to have your note, Jason. Had the opportunity to try the Theriot at the pre-FallTacular festivities:

"2002 Littorai Theriot Pinot Noir

I think Rob Pavlovich toted this along. For me, a clear coffee note threads through dark cherry and strawberry nuzzie. In the midpalate, earth and leather tones come through, with just a small spike of heat. We all feel this can still age many more years but is drinking quite well now. It is an engaging wine."

Nice. I wish I had more of the 02.

J