TNs: Moulin St.Georges 01 + Larcis Ducasse 00

Shock horror - Saint Emilions that don’t taste of oak and chocolate milk…

Moulin St.Georges 2001

Dark aromas of blackcurrant, leather and spices, but also violet and cherry. Immediate sense of style and grandeur on the tongue, with rich flavours of blackberry and blackcurrant, followed by quite a deep-throated roar of red berry, but with enough lift and deftness to avoid any stodgy downsides. A modern St.Emilion without the clichés.
I prefer this to the 00. 91 pts

Larcis Ducasse 2000

Not quite the necessary concentration for a top rating but very enjoyable. Dark cherry and herbs on nose and palate, with a second wave of plum and raspberry, then a quite persistent finish. Ripe but not OTT. 89 pts

They’re both good wines and if you’re looking for a change from the usual St.Emilion tastes, they provide a refreshing alternative. I wouldn’t say that either is old-school, they’re just free-range chickens as opposed to battery hens on steroids.

I’ve really loved the few vintages of Moulin St.Georges I’ve had. You’re right that they do taste different than other regional peers.

Cheers, Arv - Moulin St.Georges is one of the few châteaux that it’s actually worth buying EP over here, because it isn’t sold in shops - well, I’ve never seen any.

Even the 03 Moulin St. Georges is good and not too roasted IMO. The 2000 is wonderful.

Thanks Jürgen. Good to see a positive affirmation on the 2000. I have a few of these stored away.

Julian (and Arv, as well): Interested here in knowing your thoughts on the 2000 Moulin St. Georges, especially as it is a wine that doesn’t get much airplay and in the light of the mention in your note above.

Jürgen, since you mention 2003 - the Larcis Ducasse 03 is surprisingly good too, better than the 00 in fact. I’m glad that Moulin St.Georges fared well in 03, but not surprised.

Ramon, the 00 is very good too, but I just prefer the 01 because of the better grip. I discovered Moulin St.Georges when I bought some 00 E.P. I wish I had some more of subsequent vintages (just a couple of 05s), since it corresponds to what I wish all St.Emilions taste like.

I liked the 00, but have not had it in a long , long time. I might have some squirrelled away, but its not in the front of the queue.

There were some mineral notes as I remember. Once upon a time the estate was crazy good value; I think the market has realized how nice it is, and that era is over.

Julian, I recently enjoyed the 2005 with smilar impressions:

• 2005 Château Moulin Saint-Georges - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, St. Émilion Grand Cru (12/27/2014)
    A full decant then two hours in the decanter, which is what the wine needed. Colour raspberry red. An inviting bouquet of red plums, a little spice and red currant. There is also an interesting sauvage element, perhaps field mushrooms or bloody game meat. In the mouth, still fairly tight and a little austere but with our lamb casserole dish, approachable enough to be enjoyed. Dense, structured and succulent, there are some flavours of plums, but more of dark cherries, blackberries and black currants, also of meat juices and blood. Good tension and vibrancy. Velvety, unctuous and rich on the palate. Ideally give this wine another five years. (92 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Julian – I hope you are fine!

Well – some stated that every 03 Bordeaux is out of balance – at least the wines from the Right Bank. That is not true IMO. And you confirmed it with your statement to the Larcis Ducasse.

Happy Holidays
Jürgen

Howard - thanks, I shall look forward to trying one of my 05s in a few more years, your note makes it sound very promising indeed!

Jürgen - a very Happy Easter to you too (and everyone else)! I did sell almost all my 03s last year during a cash crisis, but also because the hit rate was fairly woeful - however, you’re right that there are some good RBs - just not enough. I was really amazed at how good the Larcis was - I think it was the first Derenoncourt vintage (or maybe the second), so I was not optimistic, but the 03 has extraordinary freshness and bounce.