Is this sucker gonna be ready?

For my soon to be wife and I to enjoy on our 25th anniversary, we picked up a jeroboam of 2010 Ridge Monte Bello. However knowing that this wine benefits from plenty of time, and that the aging process will be slowed quite a bit by the larger format… what say you? What state will this be in by mid 2040?

A good one :slight_smile: Good choice. You will be happy to hear that Paul Draper told me this was one of the best wines he ever made, and it should be very long lived. But 25 years should put it into the middle of its drinking window, I would think. Hopefully you bought some 750s (and even 375s) to be able to open on other anniversaries. I don’t think you will be disappointed to try one even for your 10th.

I’d guess it would be amazing ! I own some 2010 but haven’t pulled the cork on one yet. I have been drinking Ridge Cabernet Sauvignon/Monte Bello since the 70s and am very confident of their aging ability.

I was married in 1981 and had purchased 3 mags each of 1968 and 1970 from the winery. We drank them at our rehearsal dinner and on our 10th and 25th anniversaries. Each time was magical. You might consider picking up some 750s or mags for some of the intervening years.

Whether this will be ready or not is the least of your concerns.

I see what you did there. [welldone.gif] [rofl.gif]

Yes, subtle. One of my friends has already volunteered to drink it with me should the marriage not make it 25 years. It would definitely help throw one hell of a divorce party. Though she’s into wine too, so that’s assuming I ended up with it…

Alan is right… get more bottles!!

Keep it upright

The bottle?

This naturally brings to mind the way Bill Klapp framed a similar question about a 1996 Giacosa. But I think your odds are better in 2040 than his were for 2015.