TN: 1970 Claret

TN: 1970 Chateau Le Crock - St Estephe (Bordeaux, France)

Popped and poured, a dark red with a mature looking brown/terracotta rim. The nose smells of old wine barrels and forest floor. A few sips reveal a savoury red, fully mature, with n discernible fruit but a pleasant seam of wine. A tad austere on its own, it needs food to round out its flavours. With air, a freshness reveals itself on the mouthfeel, along with sweetish red fruits. The two large kebabs that I ate helped smooth out the wines rough edges.

Looks good Nicos. Another good 'un from 1970.

I’ve had really good luck with 1970s recently. Ch. La Louviere and Ch. Bouscaut in particular. I love how wine with a fair bit of Merlot ages–far better than most would expect.

Had 1971 Gruaud-Larose last night that was singing. Earthy, with a fig sweetness, and velvety tannins.

Very nice. St Estephe was good that year.

I love the pictures you post.

Especially when coloration at the rim is there.

Thanks chaps.

No Sherry, Port or Vouvray afterwards? You’re slipping, Nicos. [wink.gif]

Hello Brad, a very pleasant afternoon to you too! :wink:

As I was alone, after the '70 Claret I poured a wee dram of 21 year old single cask 1991 Highland Park whisky, matured in sherry cask. I guess that ticks a number of boxes. :wink:

Thanks for the post; great photos!
I’ve had mixed luck recently with '70’s. Ch Belair was DOA, but a Giscours exceeded my wildest expectations.
I have just three bottles left of this vintage; a pair of '70 La Lagune, and one Figeac; hoping for the best!

Cheers,
Warren

I have 2 Belair left. the First one was lovely. Did yours maybe have corkage issues?

Paul,

I just checked my notes, and the cork was indeed soaked though, although the ullage was still good (TS). Mine was probably dead from a failed cork. Here’s to hoping yours are sound!

Cheers,
Warren