2003 Sociando Mallet, Haut-Medoc

I love this estate. A bastion of classicism in a modern era.

I just knew this winery’s style could survive the roast of 2003. Clocking in at a mere 13%, this wine is fresh but ripe, open but still a bit burly. Far more open and ripe than any youngish Sociando that I have had, but it carries off the vintage very well. Beautiful nose of black fruits, spice, subtle hints of green, and a little toasty wood. Acidity is high for this vintage. Large scale on the palate, full-bodied, chewy tannins. This wine still could use some time to fully express itself but I’m thrilled to be drinking it, my first bottle, right now.

(93 pts.)

My recent note on the 2000:

Love this chateau and it’s 2003. I believe I have more 2003 S-M in my cellar than any other wine. Thanks for the update.

I have to admit, Pat, that my recent experience with the 2000, and you chiming in on that thread, is what prompted me to seek this vintage out. Bought a case from a fellow Berserker at a very reasonable price, and it was lovingly stored.

Nice!

I’m not sure most folks, including Bordeaux fans in general, would score this wine as highly as I do right now. I simply love the Sociando style, it’s distinctive. I’ve always said, I will take a distinctive wine over a so-called great wine, 9 times out of 10. Based on what I perceive to be your tastes, I think you would like this wine. For me, it delivers in spades. If I wanted a pretty wine, I’d go elsewhere.

I am a Sociando fan. The 2000 is a personal favorite. I only have 3 of the 2003, but might try one soon. It sounds right up my alley.

The 03 is definitely drinkable now for my tastes, but I think it will continue to improve for a long time. It might develop into another 1990 (a sensational vintage for SM), though possibly with even more depth.

Robert, thanks for the note, sounds really good. Last year I bought two magnums of the 2003 SM based on exactly the same thinking as yours: an estate to do well in the heat of 2003. Have something to look forward to I hope.

Cheer brodie

Sure thing, Brodie. In magnum, and having only two, I’d say sit tightly for a few more years.

I’ve had this wine a couple of times, and as recently as two months ago. I thought it defied the vintage and showed plenty of structure with ripe, not roasted, dark cherries, tobacco, and had a deliciously long finish.

A friend opened a 2003 Pavie Macquin a couple of weeks ago, and, for me, it was undrinkable.

Another '03 that defied the vintage was D’issan…intoxicating perfume…nothing overripe

Forgot to mention I also have 6 bottles of the 750ml that I bought EP back on 2004. They are still waiting, have not tried any yet. The magnums will be longer term wines I hope/expect.

Brodie

Looking forward to try a 2004 soon…

Saved a small glass for tonight.

Musky, silky, wonderful perfume. Amazingly spicey.

Excellent.

Anybody tasted the 03 side by side with the 90?

I opened the 2nd of 12 of these about 10 days ago and it was absolutely wonderful for what I paid. I can’t afford the higher end stuff, but this certainly brought pleasure. Thanks for the post.

What’s the 03 Sociando going for these days? I got most of mine from Premier Cru for right around $37-$38 back in 2006.

Double that, and then on up from there. Same with the 2000. I didn’t realize they were into that price range now.

Commerce Corner is your friend. I see various vintages of Sociando popping up for around $50 from time to time. When I wanted to grab some of the 2003, I simply posted a message on CC and within a day got a PM from a fellow Berserker with a very, very fair price on a case.

Current vintages of Sociando are on the shelf in the $45-$55 range.