Top Taster on CellarTracker

I was pursuing some of the producer pages on CT for wines that I cellar. For one that will go unnamed, it seems I am the top taster…by more than 3x anyone else. Not sure if that is a good or bad thing. I think I’ll contact the winery. I at least deserve a T-shirt or something as their #1 fan on CT.

Expect a call from them to sell you more wine. neener

A local retailer recently hawked a wine using my CT notes. Kind of weird.

That can only mean that you are the new Mike Pobega…

Ken V. was quoted by Chambers Street.

And so dear readers, it is tasting notes reductio ad absurdum. Random notes by random people on CT used to sell random wine to other random people.

“Hey everybody! But this wine! It received a WHOPPING 96 points from some guy on the internet!”

Perhaps it’s argumentum ad ignorantia for the validity of TNs. No need to go for the guy whose goal was to establish credibility by writing more TNs than any human in history, just go with anybody who wrote anything. The idea of forums like this or CT is kind of to create a community where people might get to know a bit about the others. It’s imperfect, but over time you can figure out whether you buy into someone’s arguments and agree with their taste. But picking someone at random to sell wine to my neighbor lady, that’s brilliant.

Craig - send a note to retailers offering them a cut-rate subscription for $189 a year that will give them the right to use your scores! You might be the next most powerful critic in the world and we knew you when. [cheers.gif]

Empire used one of my CT notes a few years ago (and attributed it to the winery…lol). Told them about it and they gave me free shipping on an order I placed :slight_smile:

Thanks for the warning.

Note to self: Empire tasting notes cannot be trusted.

Corey, no need to worry. They fired me after I stopped using points.

Please tip me off to that instance you are mentioning. I will get my attorneys on it at once. I have twelve in my tasting group…

You misunderstand. Nobody is using your CT notes to my knowledge. I used you only as an example of an amateur seeking notoriety for your opinions, and in Craig’s case, it appears that he was not even doing that. Maybe I should have used “Jeff Leve” instead. Sorry to have misled you, and good luck with that tasting group with 12 attorneys in it!

Actually, no it’s you who are mistaken. I seek nothing but enjoyment is all the wines I drink and sharing tasting notes here makes me happy. There is a day very soon when I will stop though so you may have luck yet. I see TNs as a vital part of a community, without them we are just a bunch of old angry men, sorry you see it differently. I have been blessed enough here by hearing from many who tell me they happen to appreciate my notes. To those members I say thank you.
Bill, no thick/thin skin issues here so no need to explain yourself further. Thank you for your input. It’s good to see things from all angles.

Cheers!

Was I? I remember Rare Wine Co.

It’s possible I’m mistaken.

Pretty sure a winery quoted Eric too.

I have had wineries use my notes and I have been both agreeable (in advance) and humbled. I seem to remember a retailer doing something similar without my knowledge and I promptly contacted them and they stopped per my request. Seeking notoriety has nothing to do with it. I usually try to concentrate that into my photography, although these days that is pure love too, back to where I was at 14 and using a camera for the first time. [cheers.gif]

I agree, Mike. I cannot see even the slightest indication of seeking notoriety or navel-gazing in your posts here, for instance. Or in adding “Pobegad” [sic] to the Urban Dictionary, wearing your “King Cab Pobega” cape. You seem capable of having some fun that does not involve tasting notes, eh? :slight_smile:

Bill, you seem very preoccupied by me and my presence here. You certainly can’t see the difference between someone self-absorbed as you claim me to be and someone just making the best fun of wine and all it comes with both online and in person. We have never met, so it can’t be personal, at least I don’t think it can be. No wonder new faces are leery about posting here. I don’t blame them. You are a nasty deep pock-mark on what could actually be a fun and relaxed forum. I am certainly glad never to be Klapp’d.

Pulling this one from down under, I actually am concerned sometimes to be the top taster for a wine (any wine). First- given that I have a palate of a yak :wink: but more seriously, I just don’t want to have my opinion biasing the ones of any search on CT. Even if it is for wines I really, really, enjoy and wish I could open even just midweek for no special reason (and some of them are even already on my list to open for fellows and myself when we finish some of the big milestone projects ahead of us)

Yeah, Garagiste did that with one of my notes on a Champagne a while back. Odd.

If he could develop a system where the scores went to a hundred and eleven, or even higher, there’s no limit to the subscription fees!