Pinot Hunter: TN: 2013 Argyle Pinot Noir (USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley)

Warning ahead of time, if you don’t get excited when you can see through your pinot in the glass, move along. This is for the people who enjoy light pinots with great tone and great balance, the essence of pinot. It is available at some TJ’s for $19.99 and I consider that not an amazing deal, but a very good one on a wine style that is quite uncommon.

• 2013 Argyle Pinot Noir - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley (3/26/2015)
    Reading the notes on this wine cracks me up. I get exactly the perspective where all the comments come from, which is to say a lot of you are wrong but you are still right, sort of. I like burgundy and I unabashedly love very light pinots that don’t necessarily have a lot of fruit but have the “tone” that I love from pinot. This wine has that. It is not insipid, it is not even thin for that matter. This is a translucent pinot that has excellent balance, a perfect green forest earthy pinot note throughout, and excellent acidity with cranberry and citrus peel fruit. It is refreshing to drink, and typifies what a lower end pinot actually should be… light, but varietally correct and balanced. This wine has that. Well done. And Trader Joe’s wine person, tip o’ the hat to ya’. (90 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

So moving back to Iowa means you’re stuck buying Argyle pinot at Trader Joe’s, eh?

neener

We miss you out here in OC, Kenny. I hope all is well. Being a large production wine, I expect that Argyle is a good one to look for on restaurant wine lists when you aren’t splurging.

More like stuck buying them at Trader Joe’s in Aliso Viejo since I don’t have any wine here!

If you’re still going back and forth, let me know sometime you’re in town and have an opening on your schedule. We can try to rally some of the usual suspects and hook you up with some better wines than you’re finding at TJ’s.

Thanks for the note. I will have to pick a few bottles of this up – sounds exactly what I am looking for in affordable domestic Pinot.

…like Chris said, you’ve got plenty of wine here to drink, even if it isn’t yours. Aren’t you married to Suzy, the famous Cardiologist in Carroll?

Kenny - I opened one of these tonight to compare notes. for what it’s worth, I found your notes spot on. Pours clear, almost like a Rose when looking at the stream coming out of the bottle. Floral and citrus on the nose. Starts with some dried red fruit, cranberry tart, and finishes very dry. Found it for $16. Certainly worth it at that price. Thanks for the note and the reminder to pick one of these up.

We tried to hook up this week but I was slammed.

Chris, we’ll definitely get him out the next time he’s in the OC.

John I appreciate the feedback very much, vindication of the palate is just as good for the ego. Great to know the right people will enjoy as I predicted.

To add, this might even be a bit better on day two with just a cork. It picks up a nice smokiness and gains a touch of body, while remaining refreshing. Pretty great for a mass production.

Well yes, but we still don’t have any wine here. [snort.gif]

Left a glass and just finished the bottle. I (mindlessly) put the screw cap back on instead of putting a cork in the bottle. Interestingly, I got the smokiness you talked about, but found the bottle a bit leaner and drier than the first day, as opposed to picking up more body. Maybe just a different palate, but may be the difference in how it was stored.

Have moved onto a Rivers Marie Silver Eagle 2010. Will post notes in a separate thread.

Curious if anyone whose had the '13 has also tried the '12. I remember not being too fond of the '12 to say the least.