TN: 2010 Copain Pinot Noir Combe de Gres Kiser

Another foray into the Deep End of Anderson Valley, and the best of Copain, which is Kiser and the grafted section.

• 2010 Copain Pinot Noir Combe de Gres Kiser - USA, California, North Coast, Anderson Valley (2/28/2015)
    Forgive the twisted image (inside CT, as I tried to fix it but it loaded sideways, dang it). Drank from 375, opened earlier today. For clarity, this is a special, grafted massale section of Kiser, a sandstone block that is between so to speak between Haut and Bas. It mixes black cherry, blueberry skin and dried cherry all together, with a kiss of vanilla from what I presume is some new oak (I believe the Kiser pinots typically see about 1/3rd new wood). I drank both a 2012 and 2013 Rhys Bearwallow in the past few weeks and this Copain reminds me very much of that wine, most especially with the cherry fruit. What that signals to me is the terroir signature that is beginning to emerge from the best wines from the Deep End pinots, from like Copain and Rhys. And this Copain is 2010, yet that whiz bang great cherry core came from later vintages of Rhys so my conclusion is that we ought to expect the wines to continue to show and reflect this terrific fruit quality across vintages. With respect to this Copain, as it warms, the signature Kiser blue fruit comes forward and there is a decent amount of tannin in the finish that should allow this to age forward. Finally, good acidity here, which energizes the fruit and finish. I’d say this will drink best in another few years, say 2016/2017. I would be geeked to try it against the Rhys Bear, say in a vintage that was lean like 2011, and then with 2013. Very good.

Posted from CellarTracker
20150228_174350.jpg

Frank - is my memory failing me, since I thought this was only bottled in magnums?

Russ, yes. However, the smaller sizes are now being made and I would say the feedback from the customer base got the winery to take another look at how they sold the wine.

That’s good to hear as I can’t imagine they sold a ton of magnums.

Saw Frankie was the only other CT note (duh), so figured I’d tag on to his thread. How this isn’t near the top of FMIII’s WOTY list, I have no idea :wink:

2010 Copain Pinot Noir Combe de Gres Kiser - USA, California, North Coast, Anderson Valley (10/23/2015)
Fairly dark garnet, not quite opaque; first thing I pick up on the nose on first opening is what appears to be new oak, with traces of dried cherry lurking in the background, and hints of spice; no idea how much new oak this wine saw (or whole cluster), and if my senses are playing tricks on me. Giving it some air and coming back later… an hour later I get less sense of oak, replaced by a fascinating, deeply spiced nose, just amazing; that spice weaves its way through the palate, which is dominated by dark dried cherry, hints of cassis and black currants, notes of orange oil, richly flavored but no sign of over-ripeness, with acidity and tannic structure in perfect balance. Fabulous wine. Fabulous. (95 pts.)