TN: 2012 A. et P. de Villaine Bourgogne Côte Chalonnaise La Fortune

• 2012 A. et P. de Villaine Bourgogne Côte Chalonnaise La Fortune - France, Burgundy, Côte Chalonnaise, Bourgogne Côte Chalonnaise (2/28/2015)
    Deep, dark garnet. A nose of primary, dark fruits (dark cherries, blackberries and dark plums), clearly quite ripe. Hints of espresso coffee roast and cherry cola on bouquet. On palate, some fruit sweetness, again fully ripe (but not over-ripe) and relatively primary. Concentrated and viscous with good dry extract and structure. Flavours of dark cherries, dark plums, red liquorice and peat, with savouriness and meatiness, balancing the fruit sweetness. Acceptable acidity and length. I don’t expect the wine to fully shut down but, ideally, I’d give it 3-5 years cellar time. (91 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Howard,
de Villaine is one of my favorite bargain burgs. For a little more pocket change, I also love his Mercurey Les Montots. He nails it, even in off vintages.
Cheers,
Warren

Warren, I agree about the Mercurey typically being the best of the de Villaine reds. I thought it was a few months ago when I tasted all of the 2012 reds together (albeit my score was a little lower than for today’s Fortune):

• 2012 A. et P. de Villaine Mercurey Les Montots - France, Burgundy, Côte Chalonnaise, Mercurey (8/25/2014)
    2012 A. et P. de Villaines: a good vintage: Colour nice ruby, a little lighter. Beetroot, stewed plums and a little spice on the nose on opening. With time raspberries, cherries and cranberries, also earth and a slightly feral, mushroomy element I like and some crushed dried herbs. Polished dark cherries with some grip on the mid and back palate. Some tannins but they are small and spherical. The acidity provides some tartness but overall this is quite voluptuous. Good fruit weight and structure. Energetic. Drink now or hold medium term. The best of the reds. (90 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Cheers, Howard