2002 Arns Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley

Very dark crimson. Fine subtle aromas feature red currant and blackberry along with a lot of Asian spice (coriander, ginger) and the faintest hint of oak. The aromas are very intense without any hint of excess alcohol (even though the label says 14.5%).
The palate is excellent, a reprise of the flavors but also offering a fine, layered texture, with plenty of fine and nicely resolved tannins, just a hint of oak, bracing acidity but also enough breadth for some welcome opulence. The core of ripe red currant carries through to the long finish. This is a really fine Napa Valley Cabernet, probably as good as it is going to get but in no danger of going downhill any time soon. Rated 94.6, drink now or over the next two years.

Dan Kravitz

Always been a fan of the wine since I tried the '92, their first vintage. I actually thought their '93, from a much more maligned vintage, was much better and was one of my favorites of the vintage and that really made me take notice of them. John and Sandi are also terrific folks.

Thanks for the note.

That’s good to hear. I had one later vintage (I don’t recall which) which was pretty hot, and someone gave me the 07 and 09 as gifts and I was concerned that they might not be my style. Have you had other vintages? I’d like to think these would evolve well.

John, I’ve had the 2007 once and the 2009 twice I think but my notes are a little confusing. I don’t have any notes that indicate the wines were hot but my notes are really lacking. Basically I note that I like the wines but prefer the 2006 to both. You didn’t ask about the 2010 but my notes indicate a little green to it.