Burg decanting advice revisited - young grand cru

For a big, structured 2010 grand cru Burgundy, slow-ox or drink immediately? It’s been at least a year since I’ve pulled the cork on a top 2010 burg, and a recent Clos Vougeot thread got me thinking about looking back at a 2010 d’Eugenie. I’m not sure if this is more likely to show better right after opening, briefly, or after several hours slow-ox (no decant). Although there’s a fair chance this one may have shut down beyond enjoyment either way :slight_smile:.

IMO drinking it this young will not allow the Grand Cru qualities of the wine to express themselves. If you have a large stash and are taking one for the team I would prefer a long slow ox.

2010 Vougeot is likely to look best after a slow ox starting in 2035.

LOL guys, yes this is a science project :slight_smile:. I had pretty good luck doing a six-hour slow-ox with a 2010 Allemand last summer but have never tried this with a young GC burg.

:slight_smile:

One wonders not how, but why.

Allemand is not a good marker. Allemand almost always shows well, regardless of vintage.

I’d open and decant right before drinking, maybe 30 minutes. With young Burgundy, I think this offers the best chance to get at the youthful fruit.