TN: Another quite closed 1999 red Burgundy ...

• 1999 Antonin Rodet Nuits St. Georges 1er Cru Les Saint Georges Cave Privée - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Nuits St. Georges 1er Cru (2/27/2015)
    Labeled ‘Les Porets’. Decanted and drunk over two evenings. Bright, iridescent ruby colour. Very grumpy nose on opening. Two hours later, still fairly closed and muted with simple red cherry aromas. The next evening it had opened quite a bit, with notes of red cherries, raspberries, smoky bacon fat, underbrush, tobacco and meat gravy. Very tight and primary on the first night. Flavours of red cherry and raspberries coating an iron core. Also, emerging over time, some earthy, savoury, underbrush nuances with cooked meat juices and a herby element (some whole bunch?). Quite tannic but they are smooth, classy tannins. Serious matière, structure and power, presently quite clenched in the mid palate. I’m giving my other bottle 5+ years. (92 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Howard,

Labeled ‘Les Porets’.

do you mean the label said “Les Porets” but on the cork was brandes “Les St.Georges”?
[scratch.gif]

16 years old premier cru from a mid tier producer, and still “grumpy” and far from ready. Sounds like another fifteen, twenty years for the better Grands Crus. My Hudelot Noellat Clos Vougeot 1999 was also backward, but benefited from a two hour decant. Did not sound quite as closed as yours.

A Lucien Boillot 1999 NSG Pruliers opened last week was open and lovely.