Best Pinot Producers in Sta. Rita Hills?

I just had a glass of Melville which kind of piqued my curiosity. I have a pretty good sized stash of sea smoke. What are your favorites?

It sounds like you like the de-stemmed, bigger styled pinots (New World). You might try some Paul Lato, Dierberg and Loring.

I heard that Seasmoke had mad a stylistic change. No?

Dragonette single vineyard Pinot.

Crawford at the top of my list right now.

Arcadian, Clos Pepe, and Sanford do a great job.

AFWE will like Domains de la Cote. tasted through their lineup last week.

Brewer-Clifton certainly got high praise from Wine Spectator in their Top 100 of 2014 (I’ve never had their PNs).

Paul Lato is killing it right now too as well as Sandhi.

I have had Loring before and enjoyed it. I admit that I favor bigger styled Pinots at least from this AVA. Or perhaps that is all I have been exposed to from this area. Nonetheless - it is Southern California - perhaps I am being a bit naive but it makes sense to work with what Mother Nature supplies. Thanks for the suggestions! I am trying to put together a blind tasting which which will include some sea smoke as well as some rochioli single vineyard wines. Just looking for some other wines.

Cheers,

Jack

Have had Arcadian and Sanford - will look for Crawford.

Thanks for the reply

Jack

Plenty of others out there . . .

Ken Brown is doing great stuff with Sta Rita Hills fruit

Rick Longoria has been working with fruit from there for decades. Great Fe Ciega Vyd stuff

Lindley and LA Montagne are 2 new wineries to keep your eyes on.

Ryan Carr has worked with the Turner Vyd for a long time and does a great job.

Adam Lee continues to do very good things with Sta Rita Hills fruit.

You might want to go onto the Sta Rita Hills wine alliance website for more suggestions . . .

Cheers.

Melville used to use stems, but not 100%. In fact Greg Brewer used stems long before they became trendy in more moderately sized PNs.

Ojai has a few good PNs from SRH that are rich but balanced.

Hey Bob,

With the exception of a single 02 and 03 I have only had 08 on. I can’t say I have noticed a huge change in style but honestly I didn’t compare those vintages at the same time. I may throw a Pommard into the tasting just to see if anyone can pick it out.

Big +1 to all of this. [welldone.gif]

Samsara
Hitching Post
Babcock
Lafond/Santa Barbara Winery
Clos Pepe
Cargasaachi
I have no known enemies in the Sta Rita Hills, I love everyone! :slight_smile:

Good call on Sanford- the single vineyard stuff is really strong and doesn’t get a lot of talk. The Sanford stuff is really lush and rich but also well balanced. +1 on Clos Pepe and Arcadian. I also am really liking Tyler, and the Ojai Vineyards stuff- more of a leaner style that what the OP mentions but definitely plenty of flavor and depth.

SRH is actually one of the coolest climate regions in CA, but has a long growing season which allows for the large variation in ripeness.

Matt, we need to meet next time I’m up your way our you’re down here. just pm.

A few I could recommend trying would be 2013 Rasi and 2012 Domaine de la Cote SRH. I had a Seasmoke Ten from 2008 earlier in the month that BLEW the table away. I recently had a few Siduris that spun my wheels: 2013 Siduri Cargasacchi as well as the 2013 Siduri Sta. Rita Hills and 2012 Siduri John Sebastiano that were all pretty amazing. Any of those wines would be a good try for you.

I am focusing on Sta. Rita myself. I am also focusing on Santa Maria, Anderson Valley and dabbling in Oregon’s Ribbon Ridge. It’s all been a good ride. Cheers!

Understood that it is cool in comparison to other areas of similar latitude or I suspect one could not successfully grow Pinot. But a long growing season should equate to longer hang time and phenolic ripeness. True?

I really enjoy working with the fruit from Santa Rita Hills area. The wines have an intensity and power that are very different than what we get on the Sonoma Coast and Russian River. Between Boswell and Bevan Cellars we work with seven different blocks at three different vineyards and each one has a different exposure, slope or soil profile. In barrel the wines are all distinctive and vibrant. We just released our first vintage and it has only further flamed our fires for the area.

Russell Bevan

Will do Brig- may be April or so before I’m passing through but will reach out [cheers.gif]