TN: NV Krug Champagne Brut Grande Cuvée (France, Champagne)

• NV Krug Champagne Brut Grande Cuvée - France, Champagne (2/23/2015)
    Found a very local source for these, at pretty good pricing, so I thought I’d go ahead and crack another of the older batch I had left……06 disgorgement from 2000 base…….this bottle seems fresher than the last 2……golden yellow pitted fruit, crisp apple……fresh squeezed lemon, ginger, little grapefruit tang……but plenty of classic Krug fresh oxidativeness that integrates perfectly! Hazelnut butter, ginger ale, crushed minerals….tiny intense popping bubbles, creamy airy mousse……tasty on a early Monday eve! (93 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

hit the Lotto or mortgage the house recently? You are drinking well.

Would be drinkin MUCH better if I lived 300 miles south of here, closer to Balla-land! [drinkers.gif]

Krug MV, great value. Once saw a Acker tasting note comparing the MV, vintage and Mesnil. Scores were within 2 pts of one another. $ between the three 120…300…1000, approximately. No brainer for the MV and they age very well!

Mini-balla Monday!

This happens to me ALL the time…you decide to open a wine, and it turns out you had the SAME exact wine, on the SAME exact day some years ago! One time, it was TWO bottles TOGETHER on the same exact date 3yrs apart…Pierre Peters NV and a SQN Dark Blossoms! Today, Feb 23 2017, opened a couple Champs to go with some fried chicken…one being this one…SAME date 2 yeas ago! Anyone else have Déjà vu vin???

I’ve concluded the same – in part based upon Krug’s insistence that the MV is their flagship wine. OK, if that’s the best you’ve got, let’s see what it does. So far, the more I drink aged MV Krug, the more I think they’re exactly right in calling it their flagship.

The MVs age so deliciously.

The problem with Krug MV is that they are so delicious it is hard to keep them around long enough to age. Buy a case. Drink a case.

Any thoughts on MV Grande Cuvee 2003 base wine? Is there much variation from year to year? Thanks!

Just tasted at Krug and they do indeed feel strongly that the MV is the best expression of the Krug experience. They compared it to a symphony versus a soloist for the vintage or other, “higher” cuvees. I believe they do try and show consistency release to release, but of course acknowledge that the blend will always be different. Like the same piece of music with different musicians each time. The metaphors used were highly musical. In fact, there are now music suggestions linked to particular Krug IDs if you have the app!

SO very true! That local source I found, I bought every bottle they had, and drank all! And now that source has dried up. [cry.gif]

And by the way, the accompanying champ was NV Ayala Brut Majeur…REALLY nice 3 blender for the money! champagne.gif

Village idiot question time. I see the use of both MV and NV above. I’m assuming both are correct as this is a NV wine made from MV’s?

yes

Thank you Dr.