TN: In Memoriam - Tasting Musar at Heirloom

IN MEMORIAM - TASTING MUSAR AT HEIRLOOM - Heirloom, San Francisco (2/5/2015)

A vibrant tasting with sincere Musar enthusiasts (GA, AY, LM, KC) and a good friend! (MB - who dove right in and put up with all our nonsense and wine geekery). The food was beautiful and simple, and there was much appreciation and love of Serge, his wines, and wine in general all around. GA spoke of how personally inspiring he found Serge, as a cultural ambassador and icon from the Middle East, connecting with people in the West. AY shared vignettes of tasting with Serge.
Whites
Too young! If the '69 I had back in 2009 was any indication, we were committing infanticide. That said, I loved the '06.

• 2006 Chateau Musar Blanc - Lebanon, Bekaa Valley
    Beautiful nose of apple-balsamic, beeswax, washed-rind cheese, brazil nut. In any other white these might be considered mature secondary aromas, but compared to my memory of the ’69 Blanc, these are relatively youthful and even simplistic for this wine. I have a feeling this could mature and gain complexity for a few more decades.
    In the mouth it is delightful - funky, savory, and waxy with a bit of weight (compared to the ’05) all enrobed in a vibrant crystalline acidity (clean on the finish, not tart on the midpalate). med- body, med+ acidity, med alcohol. Like a conversation with new lover by candlelight.

I really, really enjoyed this wine, and yet I feel certain it has a long way to go.
Score: Between 9 and 9.5.

From the winery:
Alcohol: 12.30 %
Residual Sugar: <2 g/l
pH: 3.45
Total Acidity:
4.00 g/l as sulfuric acid
6.12 g/l as tartaric acid
Total Sulphur: 38 mg/l (93 pts.)

• 2005 Chateau Musar Blanc - Lebanon, Bekaa Valley
    Slightly more subdued on the nose than the ’06, again with apple-balsamic, beeswax, and washed-rind, though to my taste not quite in as fantastic a balance. There seems to be a hint of oak, or wood, or something in that realm (not oak influence, really).
    In the mouth it seems a bit lighter, tarter on the midpalate, and not as long or vibrant on the finish as the ’06. L+ body, L+ acidity (tart), L+ alcohol. For me, the ’06 was showing better tonight. Score: Around 9.

from the winery:
Alcohol: 12%
Residual Sugar: <2 g/l
pH: 3.59
Total Acidity:
3.50 g/l as sulfuric acid
5.36 g/l as tartaric acid
Total Sulphur: 26 mg/l (90 pts.)

Reds
Baffling! The 96 (which outshone the '94 for me, at the Bergstrom tasting) was subdued. My last bottle of the steadfast '94 sung far beyond any I’ve had. The 99 was, predictably, closed down and youthful.

• 1991 Chateau Musar - Lebanon, Bekaa Valley
    Color: Cloudy red in the glass with a pale rim. (It was pretty dim in the restaurant, don’t trust any of my color notes - I’d refer to Kirk’s notes from late 2014).
    Nose: Initial aromas of green apple (oxidative) and forest floor, then the wine bloomed into a boldly-splashed canvas of baked apple, tart blackberry and cherry, fig stems, and a hint of tamari. The nose is simply gorgeous - savory, sweet, and much more.
    In the mouth this wine is effortlessly balanced - med- body, med alcohol, med+ acid. The flavors on the palate follow the nose, and seem to shimmer and oscillate in balance with each smell and sip. As several people remarked, at most tastings this would be wine of the night, but on this occasion my ’94 (to my surprise) seemed to outshine it.
    Score: Between 9 and 9.5 (93 pts.)
  • 1994 Chateau Musar - Lebanon, Bekaa Valley
    1994 Musar
    Medium-red in the glass, this wine has a typically layered and evolving nose of Brett (4-EP), clove (4-EG), brilliantly warm fruit, deep cherry, tamari, tobacco and so much more. At times it reminded me of a fine lambic, and at other times it seemed to produce within it a sketch of a great Bordeaux, or a whisper of a Burgundy. I’ve had several bottles of the ’94, and indeed, this is my last - it’s always been a good wine, but with faulty corks I’m never sure how any bottle will play out. Usually, it plays second-fiddle to the ’95 and ’96. In this case, my last bottle might have been my best.
    Score: Between 9 and 9.5 (93 pts.)
  • 1996 Chateau Musar - Lebanon, Bekaa Valley
    Medium+ ruby in the glass, this wine had a somewhat subdued nose of dark red fruit, hint of port character, slight stewed vegetables and brioche. In the mouth it was medium- bodied - not as exuberant and complex as its peers, at least on this night.
    Score: Around 9 (90 pts.)
  • 1998 Chateau Musar - Lebanon, Bekaa Valley
    Rich, sweet, pretty nose of baked raspberry, among the usual Musar funk. In the mouth it was fresh, spritzy, almost zippy with more raspberry. A lighter-intensity Musar.
    Score: Around 9 (90 pts.)
  • 1999 Chateau Musar - Lebanon, Bekaa Valley
    Somewhat closed nose of dense, dark fruit. In the mouth, plummy with grippy tannins. This was just opened, and I think needed to be decanted a lot longer. Very young and closed.

Score: No score.

Cheers Serge. Your wines continue to baffle us, bring us pleasure, bring us together, and fix moments in memory.
Posted from CellarTracker

Great idea for a tasting, and nice notes. Thanks for sharing…

glad to see you posting Rajiv!

Rajiv, sounds like you folks had a great tasting. I was excited to see your thoughts on the '06 blanc. Doug & I have both loved the '05…it’s always had this great Chamomile note to it for me. Hopefully you’re stashing a few of the blancs in your cellar…so you can enjoy them when they do age 30-40 years!!

Musar. Makes Burgundy seem predictable.

Now I have to try the '06 Blanc. If I like it even more than the '05, my credit card will feel the pain. '05 is by far my favorite Blanc that I’ve tasted so far. I have a couple of bottles of other vintages that I’m going to leave alone for quite a few years. I’ve never had a mature Musar Blanc.

This sounds like a fantastic tasting. I may have had better luck with the '99 recently. I think I gave it quite a bit of air before it was poured.

I’m glad you got such a good bottle of '94. The best bottle I’ve had was one of my favorite Musars, but they’ve been significantly variable because of those corks.

Thanks for posting your impressions, Rajiv.

Rajiv - thanks for posting this. My scrawled notes disappeared from my jacket…evidently I got somewhat over-refreshed and misplaced them…

The whites could not have been more different - one was somewhat animale and edgy - pushing one to the point of sensuality, the other very correct and somewhere between graves and rioja…both excellent I must say.

The 91 stole the show for me and the 94 was close behind - both wonderful wine. Musar seems to go through some sort of transubstantiation at a certain point in time - and in some bottles - but these were close to divine.

The 96, 98 and 99 were all excellent - I feel that had we drank them in reverse age order the 99 would have shone more - but no bad wines.

More importantly - a truly wonderful evening with outstanding company, stellar food and exceptional wines. I felt privileged to be able to break bread with such warm, intelligent and interesting folk and like you was very moved by GA’s perspective on Musar, the Middle East and wine.

This also made me think of a comment made on another wine board by a palindromic Finn - that moving to the US would be fine but I shouldn’t expect it to be all aged burgundy and musar…well he’s not entirely wrong but i’ve been surprised and blessed by what I’ve managed to find here…

Tooch! Good to be back. Hope you are doing well in Chicago.

Kirk/Doug - I feel so conflicted on the whites, since one of the first I tasted was the '69 with Serge (first world problems, I know). I feel like it’s a totally different wine around 40 years, and by drinking the 06’s now I’m just stealing from the future, as good as it tastes. 30 years is a long time to wait.

Leon - Well said. I really enjoyed the wines and the company. For the most part the Finn is correct, though - my next tasting will be 50 flavors of Two-Buck Chuck.

I am guessing based on Rajiv’s notes that the “animale and edgy” one was the '06. Is that right? What I love about the '05 is that it seems a bit more refined than other vintages I’ve had, without losing its funky, quirky character.