Need a Burg recommendation

I’ve been asked by a friend to source a single bottle of ready-to-drink “classic Vosne Romanee” for under $150. I know essentially nothing that would enable me to do this. The few times I have drifted into red Burgundy and found something I enjoyed, it has been a Gevrey-Chambertin.

I can’t say I know exactly what she means by “classic Vosne Romanee” given producer/vineyard variation, and I suspect she doesn’t know either. I know we both dislike Parker-style wines, so I assume she means a traditionally styled wine that gives a sense of what V-R offers relative to other Burgs. Beyond that, well, I suppose anything goes.

I have no idea what vintages are affordable and ready to drink, but the wine is for drinking as soon as the weather is warm enough for shipping.

I would greatly appreciate your suggestions—and a PM if you have a link to a specific wine at a reputable merchant. I’m shipping to DC, so buying out-of-state is generally not a problem.

Thanks!

Ahem – apparently $150 is an upper limit, and I should be aiming for somewhere less than that.

This is why I drink Italian and Spanish wines!

Immediately comes to mind – all of which should be in the $100-150 range:

Clavelier Beaux-Monts or Brulees
Hudelot-Noellat Suchots or Beaumonts
Comte Liger-Belair VR La Colombiere or Clos du Château
Mugneret Gibourg Vosne Romanee AOC (getting overpriced but should be more in the $80 range)

Of recent vintages that may be available, '09, '10, and '12 all should be excellent for any of the above.

Thank you – but are those vintages too young to drink?

Do you use WineSearcher? There are 2005 and 2007 examples of some of those wines available.

I do use Wine Searcher Pro. I’m trying to figure out which vintages are drinkable now. I’m not a Burg drinker but know there are strong opinions on this subject…

2000, 2001, 2007 to drink now, though all can age further.

Thanks, guys. None of the above wines appear to be available for those vintages. I’ll keep my eyes open, but additional suggestions are welcome too.

After looking at what’s available on W-S, I would recommend 2000 Domaine Méo-Camuzet Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru Les Chaumes. It is available at Santa Rosa Fine Wine.

Though probably not extraordinary wines, the 2006 Jadot Beaux Monts and 2006 Jadot Suchots are available, well-below your price limit, typically-Vosne, and should be pretty good and open enough to drink now.

Tell your friend that he needs to add another zero to the right end of the upper limit.

Having said that, your best bet is the Forey Echezeaux. Without spending another $35 [or whatever] for Wine-Searcher Pro [which would push your budget to $185 or else lower it to $115, depending on your point of view], here’s what you can see:

[u]http://www.wine-searcher.com/find/forey+echezeaux[/u]

And in the USA, it looks like it would be the 1998 at $129 plus S&H from Santa Rosa Fine Wine.

I can’t “deep link” to it, but their website claims to have three bottles in stock:

http://www.santarosafinewine.com

There might also be the 2000, right at $150, in Brooklyn, NY, but S&H would push you over budget:

[u]u] Domaine Forey Echezeaux 2000 w0753719bn[ - Uva Wines & Spirits

It’s very odd that you and I both ended up at “Santa Rosa Fine Wine”.

Is that a real store, or is it one of these aggregator boiler room call center operations with a fake inventory?

Because if it’s real, then guys like Mr Weinberg and Mr Hey must not like Forey or Meo-Camuzet. In this day and age, those are “back up the truck” prices.

actually, I am not a huge Meo fan and don’t know Forey. I am trying so hard not to buy more wine, but when I do, it is to backfill. Have at it.

just checked out the inventory–great pricing and lots of onesies and twosies. Interesting site. My guess is they have the wines because they aren’t advertising cases and it is a pretty eclectic grouping.

It’s a real site. The owner occasionally posts on this board.

Also stop trolling Kevin, those aren’t back up the truck prices. Someone might actually believe your anti burgundy price crusade

Thanks, all. I’m traveling at the moment but will review all the options tomorrow night and make a selection.

I think meant Nathyn trolling? Kevin is the OP :slight_smile:

Very old school relaxed elegant style; clean, correct, gentle; definitely NOT for the fruit ester crowd.

The Brits love it.

Would never see big points from any USA critic who sampled 200 wines at a time in a hotel ballroom.

Okay, let’s see your Wine-Searcher-Fu.

Aged Vosne on a budget of $150, including S&H.

Or a budget of $150 - $43 = $107 if you use Wine-Searcher-Pro-Fu.

BTW, that’s some serious price inflation at WSP.

I don’t have a rec but I just checked Drouhin Petit Monts pricing thinking that could be a good option and I can’t believe how expensive they’ve gotten! Well above the $150 mark.

To give you a sense of how hopeless the situation has become, $150 on free Wine-Searcher will get you a single bottle of a good village wine; ten years ago you could have had the Grands Echezeaux for about that price:

$129.95 | 1998 Domaine Rene Engel Vosne-Romanee, Cote de Nuits, France | Crush Wine & Spirits 

$139.95 | 2001 Domaine Rene Engel Vosne-Romanee, Cote de Nuits, France | Crush Wine & Spirits

$139.95 | 2002 Domaine Rene Engel Vosne-Romanee, Cote de Nuits, France | Crush Wine & Spirits