TN: 2012 Sandler Wine Company Pinot Noir Santa Lucia Highlands - Pobega!!!

Pobega, this is for you. GSO to my wife’s trunk to my cork screw.

• 2012 Sandler Wine Company Pinot Noir Santa Lucia Highlands - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Lucia Highlands (2/10/2015)
    Let’s start off with the fact that I really like this wine. Sometimes you’ll read a tasting note, beautifully crafted, and wonder “did the guy like it?” Make no mistake here. Color is a fairly cloudy cranberry or strawberry, that’ll be a theme here. I’m guessing Ed doesn’t filter or fine his wines and regardless it doesn’t matter to me. Nose is a tart red fruit with a moss note, I’d say like the dried cranberries I steal from the bulk bin at Sprouts while I’m pushing the shopping cart for my wife and assume the store attributes to “shrinkage” but I digress. Palate is cranberry right down the middle with an added strawberry flare. Light to medium bodied wine with decent acid and light toast. Finish is medium and this is the type of wine I often describe as feminine.

Posted from CellarTracker

Awesomecranberrysauceness.

Thanks for the notes, I got a 6 pack on B Day myself, will have to pobega one upon my return home I know they are there waiting for me.

Whoa, great minds really do think alike. Did the exact same thing with this wine from my B-Fest pack!
My impressions were very much like yours. I think this is very drinkable now, or could sit for a bit, but I like that bright fruit component so much, I doubt I’ll wait too long for the other bottle.
I thought it was interesting that it had a composite cork closure. I asked Ed, and he told me that he’s always looking for ways to avoid TCA, to which he’s very sensitive, and this is one thing he’s trying.

Drinkin one right now…very high toned red fruits…tart and sour, red candied apple…sweetness…pretty florals, big spice…unfiltered…love it!

What could be better than a great reasonably priced pinot from a very talented winemaker Ed Kurtzman. Nothing that I know of.

Yo; surfer dudes… Us in the snowless snow boarder region(too cold to ship) are on hold for a while, before we can try the SLH blend. Try some beach backgrounds. [thankyou.gif]

Ron E, I saw that it’s going to be above 0 Fahrenheit for the next week in Minnesota, so I decided to ship. With the alcohol above 14%, I figure the freezing point of my wines is much lower than you’d imagine. Let me know if the wines arrive in good shape. Well, that’s my idea of a February joke, of course I didn’t ship yet, probably not 'til March for you northerners.

Thanks for the excellent photo, Brian, and all the great notes, everyone. I get asked for “bottle shots” from time to time, I might ask your permission to use that, Brian.

Very nice photo Brian.

We’re on hold starting today, it’s too hot to ship! [wow.gif]
IMAG1269.jpg

Brig- This sounds awesome! Must have.

My 10 year old has figured out the bikini thing. We’re ready for a winter vacation.

MN has been pretty moderate this year. All the storm have missed us and the largest snowfall we have had so far has been 3 inches, totalling 22 inches. Right now, we barely have enough to cover the grass. Snowmobiler’s are a pissed off group right now.

I still have one bottle of the single vineyard 2012 SLH from last year. How does this differ from the appellation bottle?

Can you please send some of that warm air my way? I’ve had it with winter!

Ron, the single vineyard Peterson takes the cool climate, tart, rhubarb and cranberry characteristics even further. Half of the appellation wine was from the Soberanes Vineyard, and in 2012 that site produced some fairly ripe PN. Even though Peterson is less than a mile north of Soberanes, the fruit profile is less ripe, more spicy, and higher acid.

My first Sandler – I may have found a new favorite domestic Pinot producer!

• 2012 Sandler Wine Company Pinot Noir Santa Lucia Highlands - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Lucia Highlands (2/12/2015)
    There is so much to love about this wine. Firstly, with a bit of air, the aromatics are big and remind me of rhubarb pie. Very flavorful on the palate, not at all thin as one note mentioned. Perhaps medium, but the fruit is very focused with good concentration and depth. As others have noted, some cranberry and strawberry, slightly tart and a hint of sour. A slight earthy note as well. Some spicebox, too – really, layers of pleasing flavors. I also enjoyed the unfiltered texture of this wine - kind of gave a fleshy mouth feel that I really dig. Some of you may scoff at the high score I’ve given, but I feel this is a wine of rare quality that I seldom (never until now) find in domestic pinot. Amazing QPR here. Thank you, Ed Kurtzman, for making an affordable and beautiful California Pinot. I can’t wait to taste more of these Sandlers (94 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

I picked up some Sandler on B-Day and figured I’d pop one and see what all the fuss is about. I have had the Sandler wines in the past, as it’s become a bit of a staple for me on B day.

I really liked this wine and I generally agree with the tasting notes in terms of the characteristics of the wine. My palate is definitely tuned to Oregon as even though this wine had plenty of acidity, and a nice tartness to it, I still found it relatively heavy/sweet compared to the wines I typically drink. But it definitely wasn’t over-oaked in any way and the acidity kept things in balance. I don’t drink very much CA pinot anymore (I often find it a little too ripe and extracted for my taste, sorry) but there are times I crave these wines and this is wine I will reach to with gusto. Some have argued on this board (Chris Sieber?) that many CA wines are now being made more similarly to Oregon wines in terms of ripeness, alcohol, etc. If this is a good representation of a lighter, brighter styled CA pinot that I have to say that there is still a very big difference between it and a representative OR pinot noir; this has way more plump, ripe fruit and a heavier mid-palate. But I do really enjoy this wine and kudos to Ed for his talent.

Any idea how the 2013 differs from the 2012? I can buy some 2012 from Solano cellars or some 2013 at the winery.

I tried the 13 two days after the 12 and it seemed very similar in style but perhaps a bit softer/riper.

I just tasted this evening and I think Ron’s take is fair.

Thanks! I think I’m going to go for the 13 as that seems more what I’m looking for.

I am personally in love with Ed’s 2012 Bien Nacido. I really like that wine! I don’t think I have had the Santa Lucia Highlands. Had a few of the 2012 designates, but for some reason, the Bien Nacido hits the high note for me.