Pairing advice for steak and eggs on Super Bowl Monday

Given I’m in Perth, Western Australia kick off is at 7:30 am on Monday morning. Breakfast will be t-bone and eggs and I’m looking for a red to pair with to start the day off right. A quick google search results in Martha Stewart recommending Merlot. I’m personally leaning more towards a cru Beaujolais or a Bourgogne. Any advice would be appreciated.

Go hawks!

What’s the preparation method and spicing on the steak? In my experience that’s often more important than the protein.

I’m not sure if it being the morning is part of the decision. From a pure food pairing standpoint, the typical wines to go with steak would be Bordeaux, New World cab and merlot, syrah/shiraz, malbec, zinfandel. Though really any red wine works reasonably well, including lighter reds like Beaujolais and Bourgogne. You could hardly go wrong with a red wine.

What’s the preparation method and spicing on the steak?

Thanks for the response. There’s no real prep so to speak other than a bit of olive oil the night before and some salt and cracked pepper while they come up to room temp before cooking. Trying to keep it simple, they’re good cuts from a local butcher.

Cheers Chris. I appreciate the steak recommendations but I’m unsure if I’ll be game for a big Cab that early in the day. I think more than anything it’s the eggs that are leaving me scratching my head.

I like Chris’ thinking on the lighter reds. I say Morgon or Fleurie. Something not too complex that’s really drinkable so you can focus on the game.

For me, because of the eggs, vintage Champagne
(and because it’s breakfast)
[wink.gif]

Sparkling Rose or a decent Sparkling Shiraz would work for both dishes.

This.

Grange

I’d go with Bloody Mary [cheers.gif]

I would be looking for a hoppy red ale or a full bodied amber ale. If it needs to be wine I would also go with a well aged champers.

Cheers!

For me, because of the eggs, vintage Champagne

Vintage champagne would be nice but my heart is set on a red.

Sparkling Rose or a decent Sparkling Shiraz would work for both dishes.

I’ve not really found my place with sparkling Shiraz, historically I’ve found them to be a bit much for my palette.

Grange

Touche! At 7:30am I reckon that might be over the top!

I’d go with Bloody Mary

That’s my go to morning drink (I can’t believe I just wrote that) but I’d either need to make up a big batch before or take time out of the game to mix a refill.

Thanks for all the responses folks, I really appreciate it! [cheers.gif]

What about fixing the two to be served in separate courses? Eggs benedict with vintage champagne followed by steak and fried potatos with a cab. The cab should be about 20 yrs old so that it is tamed down a bit…

DIRTY & ROWDY MOURVEDRE (EVEN THOUGH IT AIN’T FRIED CHICKEN)

I like this approach as I don’t think one wine works good with both the eggs and the steak. If You really want a single wine, I would look at a heavy body white such as a skin fermented Roussanne or an Auslese riesling with some age in it. But again I think the best bet is to split them like Joe suggested.

I also like the advice on two courses but my father will be doing the cooking and has his heart set on steak and eggs. I’m salivating about the recommendation though so next year the two course option will definitely get a go. Now I just need to learn how to make a good hollandaise sauce.

for me, the only egg dish which works with red is Oeufs en meurette.

So…whisky? champagne.gif

Tequila.

nice new avatar, BtR

Moonshine