Copain Releases--2015

Just thought some of you may want to see the release schedule for this year, as the email came today which allows for the customization. I left the pricing too (which is reflective of my club membership, and shipping is included, FWIW).

Wine Selections

SPRING RELEASE
'13 Brosseau Chardonnay, Chalone; $46.75
'13 DuPratt Chardonnay, Anderson Valley; $46.75
'12 Kiser ‘En Bas’ Pinot Noir, Anderson Valley; $59.50
'12 Kiser ‘En Haut’ Pinot Noir, Anderson Valley; $63.75
'12 Hawks Butte Syrah, Yorkville Highlands; $38.25
'12 Halcon Syrah, Yorkville Highlands; $47.60

FALL RELEASE
'13 Laureles Grade Chardonnay, $46.75
'13 Monument Tree Pinot Noir, $59.50
'13 Wendling Pinot Noir, $55.25
'12 Baker Ranch Syrah, $46.75
'12 Brosseau Syrah, $38.25

No other action on this thread? Copain seems to have cooled off in popularity a little. I’m still in! Though I confess that not seeing Wells around during the member events makes it a little more “distant” as far as feeling connected to the wine.

I was particularly impressed with the 2012 Wendling Pinot, poured at the fall pickup event. For the first vintage, it was quite a fascinating wine. Definitely upping my count of that wine in 2013.

FM3–we drank the '12 Laureles Grade on Tue–holy crap that’s good stuff.

I’m pondering my list for this year–will have it done soon.

I think the quality of the 2011 syrah vintage for Copain probably lowered the amount of talk on this site. I bought all the SVDs, but other than the Halcon, was not impressed, they were just ok. Any word on the quality of the 2012 syrah vintage? I have currently zeroed out my membership list but I guess that is subject to change. I like this producer quite a bit but I have a lot of stock at present.

Robert, 2011 was an anomaly for Syrah from pretty much every producer I have sampled, at least in northern California (can’t say anything about Paso). Couple that with the relatively cooler climate sites Copain deals with, and it was really an outlier year. I wouldn’t change any buying strategies soley on the uniqueness that was 2011.

I have not tasted any of Copain’s 2012 Syrahs, but I fully expect them to be back in the mold of pre-2011. I have had the 2012 Halcon, under their own label, and it is definitely back to “normal”. The 2012 Copain Halcon is definitely on my buy list.

I get that about 2011, that was not the reason for my chilling for now. I just happen to have a lot of Copain at the moment.

Understood, I’m in the same boat. Just commenting on 2011 vs 2012, and not making decisions based on what you saw in 2011 alone.

In for the usual suspects, and looking forward to getting my hands on the Kisers. Anyone try the Monument Tree yet? I’ve found that to be my least favorite of the single vineyard pinots, but am curious to hear if anyone has taken a crack at the '12s yet.

Pretty sure someone posted a TN on that recently, maybe FMIII?

EDIT: it was Mister Rath:

I bought a lot of Copain SVD PN in '09 and '10, plus some '07 backfill, and have been trying to purchase predominately Chard for the last few releases to rebalance - but then Alan or FMIII post a tasting note on one of the Pinots and my plan goes to sh*t…

I drank a bottle last year, and it blew my mind. One of the best experiences I have ever had with California Chardonnay.

A completely trivial gripe, but every year, I would rather back load the cost and storage into the second half of the year’s order, yet the wines I want are front loaded into the first half.

Frank, any thoughts on the two Kisers relative to each other? Since you were so helpful to me in choosing between the Skyline and Swan Terrace the other day.

I have loved the bottles of Laureles I have had. My problem with some of these producers is the number of vineyards and offerings they have. My eyes start to glaze over. I like it simple.

Not Frank, but here’s my take: En Bas is from the lower part of the vineyard, richer soil, and tends to produce a richer, rounder, darker wine; while the En Haut is (obviously) from the upper section, slightly leaner (though never un-flavorful), higher acid, a little more elegant. As a Burg drinker, I lean (no pun intended) toward the En Haut, but both are generally very nice wines.

Uh oh…found one of these in the cellar and pulled the cork just now. The nose is fantastic. First sip shows a fair amount of acidity. Perfect in the Zalto Universal. A friend in Boston just sent a link to some Gronk interviews. Looks to be a nearly perfect evening [cheers.gif] .

A gorgeous honeysuckle component to this tonight…white flowers…very floral…overt experience of acidity receding as it opens in the glass. Just lovely. I am thinking I wish I had made this [swoon.gif] .

Is that a 2012 Merrill?

yep
And I love Merrill’s tasting note. Y’all save some for me. HRH told me to go long on this one.

Yes sir - you and Betsy headed over? No rush to pull this from your cellar, but very rewarding. I need to look up the vintage I had with Doc Levine last summer.

Yeah right. Where in the world would a slacker like I look that up? Glenn probably knows. This is January 30 of the new year, and I have already failed at my attempt to record what I open. Or taste. Or enjoy. Year after year. Hang me.

Ok, just to keep this going…this 2012 is a knock-out. To me. Tonight (and previous outings for this designate have pleased). A very elegant lemony character is emerging, the acidity is way in the background (for me a positive, as I am acid-sensitive) and it is round and full. Luscious comes to mind. Just perfect for a Chardonnay, for me. Totally wish I had made this.