TN: 2012 Ceritas Chardonnay Heintz Vineyard - a puzzling wine

2012 Ceritas Chardonnay Heintz Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (1/29/2015)
This is going to be controversial, in that my view on this wine is about 180 degrees out of step with most folks. I do enjoy Ceritas wines, and I have been a fan of the Porter Bass and Peter Martin Ray Chardonnays (not to mention the couple of Pinot Noirs I have tried), but I could not get my arms around this one to find enjoyment. I followed it over several hours (yes - I kept giving it chances), and each sip seemed disjointed, oaky, harshly acidic, and at the same time creamy and almost cloyingly sweet. The wine was all over the place, and just plain grumpy. I guess I will say judgement reserved, as this showing makes no sense to me in the context of what others (including some palates I trust) have found but I really did not like this one bit.

Posted from CellarTracker

Ceritas Chards have very high acid, I am with you

Yeah, but I am a Riesling drinker. This one was just odd.

Oh boy, sitting on 6 bottles of this. Hoping this was an anomaly or your taste bud were fatigued!

Would love to hear your thoughts on it.

Hopefully, we’re talking bottle variation here. I had a bottle of this last July, and it was singing.

I opened one of these near Xmas and found it to be a bit more oaky than the 2011s and definitely a bit disjointed. No sweetness at all though. More than anything it gave an impression of a tight, young wine that just needs time.

Should add the remaining half a bottle or so tasted much better 2 days later.

I think these will be just fine. The '11 Porter Bass also went through a weird grumpy phase (the '10 never did). I also have six '12 Heintz and will visit one soon. Thanks for the update.

Cheers,
Warren