TN: 2011 Xavier Gerard Cote Rotie

This is a producer new to the Neal Rosenthal portfolio. I understand that Bernard Levet introduced Rosenthal to young Xavier Gerard, which is ironic given that, stylistically, this is very different Cote Rotie than that made by Levet. Whereas the Levet wines are full-throttle, dark-fruited and somewhat rustic (and have about as much soul as wine can have), this wine is elegant, red-fruited and suave. Initially, the nose was much more expressive than the palate, but over the course of an hour the palate filled out with bright fruit on the attack, firm flesh in the mid-palate, and cleansing acids and ripe tannins on the finish. I believe that Rosenthal has another winner here. Gerard makes some St.-Joseph, as well, which, based upon this bottle, would be fun to try to see if the style here carries over to that wine. This Cote Rotie should sell for about $50.

FWIW, I tried to track down Xavier Gerard’s 2012 St.-Joseph, but learned that Rosenthal showed it to New York retailers and his 25 cases sold out in a day. New Yorkers may want to watch for it, as I understand that it is nice wine.

Thanks for the heads-up. Rosenthal’s site has some good info on Gerard, and JLL has terrific things to say about recent vintages of the Cote-Rotie. I’m very excited to try these wines.