Arcadian News Letter

My CC was charged yesterday…anyone know what they are sending?

The newsletter listed three syrahs, 2004 Hommage, 2007 Westerly, and the 2007 Purisima. I think the Purisima and Hommage were probably the wines, and then you could order the Westerly if you want. But like you, I’m never really sure. As great as the wines are, the communication piece is a challenge with Arcadian.

I saw the charge and wasn’t mad, but shocked that I didn’t get the news letter. Joe emailed me this morning saying Rochelle’s husband is sick and another member of the office staff would be in touch.

So if you’re pinot-only does that mean no club release for Jan/Feb?

That’s a good question. I normally sub any Syrah they offer for Pinot.

Well, I also have a ~$143 pending charge. I’m not sure what will irritate me more: (1) if they send me two bottles of syrah, or (2) if I’m paying to ship just two bottles.

Rochelle just wrote back to me that they’ve processed this shipment as the 04 Max and the 07 Purisima. Que syrah syrah.

I had been a club member for several years, with a request for Pinot only but that didn’t stop them from sending me Syrah. I mentioned it once on the phone, but my comment was ignored. I let it go and I let other things go, and then I didn’t let something go, so now I am neither a club member nor a fan. From my experience, and I see from others, it is my opinion that they are the most incompetently run winery. I don’t care how good the wines are, you show respect to your customers and make things right when mistakes are made. That wasn’t done in my case.

Steve, you have every right to be irritated to be charged for Syrah that you don’t want. I hope you have better luck than I in having it straightened out.

I got an email on the 23rd but it had no content. I replied to it to ask what should be in the message but got no reply. I now see that my card has been charged. Also, it looks like the company is now Arcadian & Bratcher Wineries, when did this change occur?

I have to say that I get the pinot, syrah and white in my shipment, but then I selectively buy the pinot (and syrah) I want independent of the shipment.

And btw, I am drinking the 2000 Garys’ Syrah right now. It’s beautiful. At $65, I am going to buy more of this wine.

k.

I usually go to the Arcadian site and change my GCS order to include only the library wines that I want. You can sub wines in place of those that are pre-selected. When I received the blank email referenced above, I tried to do that as usual. Can’t. Site won’t let me get in to change my shipment.

Email sent to Rochelle, no reply yet.

I am sorry I started this thread. It was not my intent to start an Arcadian bitch session. My intent was to see what was in the news letter and that was it. I spoke with Joe and he said they had an issue with their software and he will be sending an email out tomorrow. Arcadian makes 1st class wine and Joe Davis is a 1st class guy. He has been nothing but hospitable to me and my wife and I am not worried about anything because I know that he would make things right if they were wrong. I was only seeking a little information.

Thanks for passing that on; I’ve been on the wire for the past few shipments and have decided to call it quits. The communication piece alone drives me crazy and then to have unanswered emails…I’m done.

I had a pm with Diane recently and will support her observations. That said, I never received any syrahs so in a way I’m ahead. :slight_smile:

For my own information, how does their wine club work? The information online seems rather vague - 4 to 12 bottles every 4 to 6 months. 2 bottle shipments at an unknown interval. How much does shipping usually cost?

I do like their style and am considering becoming a member.

I think my plan is 4 shipments per year of 2 bottles each. They pick the bottles, though if you let them know beforehand, they can usually substitute things for you.

The best part is that seemingly once a year or so, they have a big sale on inventory, often including a lot of back vintages (and by back vintages, I mean like early 2000s - their current releases are only 07s and 08s for the most part) and half bottles, and these can be a crazy good deal, like 20-40% off (and these are already very fairly priced to begin with). My experience so far has been to do the 2x4 plan mostly on autopilot, but then pile on some bottles when they are selling off inventory.

It generally seems to work out well for me, but I can understand and respect that some people might find it a bit opaque and the communication not very smooth. This definitely isn’t like Rhys or Carlisle as far as the customer interface.

I received nothing but blank emails. I also fall into the club of their communication is very poor. I rarely get any response from email and even if I do get one months later, I would say they didnt even read my question based on the statements I get back.

It has been that way from the start with me, and I assumed it was the first person in that postion, and with the replacement, it would get better. It has not.

That being said, I for some reason put up with it and now take two mixed cases from them a year. I like the wines that much.

I also take part in their syrah sales, as they are terrific wines at terrific prices.

I dont want to be viewed as piling on, as obviously I am still a customer, but I do agree their communication is terrible and if the wine was one notch lower, i would leave as well.

I also agree Joe when I have communicated with me has been helpful and interested in my business, and my satisfaction, but the staff never seems to be. I guess I am confused how it is allowed to continue.

As to how the club works, there are 4 shipments a year regardless of what the mixed up website says. you can pick how many bottles per shipment. (within the outlined choices). At least this has been my experience over the last two years.

Does anybody see this shipment listed if they go to the “Customize Shipment” page? Mine hasn’t changed since the Dec shipment, I’ve actually been checking it regularly since I wanted to make some additions when the new one came around.

I sent an email asking what was in the shipment and whether it was too late to make additions but haven’t gotten a response.

I’ve been doing the same and only see the Dec order.
I’ve not heard back on my email from yesterday…

I have been on the phone most of the day dealing with Wine Web our software provider over the malfunction of not only email but ordering in general. For those of you who have sent email and received no response, we did not receive them. Rochelle nor I would never ignore an email from our customers.

The newsletter was sent out on Friday and yes we sent a test to ourselves and it worked, however when we sent it out to all of you, most did not receive it. And we had no way of knowing until Bryan’s response came to us. We have subsequently received emails from a few others. Rochelle is in the office today reformatting the letter using Constant Content to ensure you all get it. With our apologies.

Those of you who are Pinot only members will see a different note with the wine options for Pinot Noir.