TN:2004 Bodegas El Nido Clio....,a late turnaround!

Default TN:2004 CLIO
Searching through the cellar and I came upon a few 2004 Clios. WA 97 pts and hadn’t had one for quite a while. Recall reading great notes early on, but then the notes became disappointing. Big Dr Jay loved it, so I went for this blast from the past. Drunk with great preseasoned Costco ribs cooked to perfection and topped with Sweet Bsby Rays sauce. The wine didn’t seem to change much from my recollection. Deep purple/red, heavy black cherry blueberry, but now the alcohol was much more apparent. I had popped cork, let the wine sit for 3 hrs, then poured it. Overall not pleasurable due to the modestly overwhelming alcohol. Overall not happy, thinking about what I am going to do with my other bottles. I put a 3 oz pour into an air proof container and poured the remaining ounce in a a glass. Went to try that ounce one hour later, not expecting much change. WOW! No alcohol nose or taste! Well balanced black cherry blueberry flavors and scent, with a dollop of whip cream. Reminded me a lot of Alban Reva from a big vintage. The wine is BIG, drinking great now but you could leave it alone for a decade. Give a 1-2 hr decant before drinking.

andy

I still have a few of these . . . last bottle I had was a hot, oaky mess!

I agree with your description for the pop and pour. After a decant let it breath for 2 hrs. I think you will be surprised.

Thanks for the note. I have 2 bottles myself that I’ve been afraid to open as my first experience was way OTT and too big for my liking. I was thinking to offload as a crowd pleasure for my non oenophile friends at an upcoming Super Bowl party.

This wine really shines at 1-2 hours of air, almost completely evolves and once it does…AMAZING