TN: 2009 Novy Family Wines Syrah Rosella's Vineyard

• 2009 Novy Family Wines Syrah Rosella’s Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Lucia Highlands (1/24/2015)
    Inky dark ruby, bacon fat nose on the PnP. Tart red berry with a little spice, light to medium body and fruit with some chewy tannins. Not bold nor restrained, but as Goldilocks would say just right. Cranberry/pomegranate fruit with a good balance in favor of the acid and finishing with grainy tannins. This is drinking really well now and should last for some time. This should be very appealing to Pinot lovers as well, this is no jammy fruit bomb. Enjoy. (92 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

D, thanks for the note. I put my most recent one below, although it has been some time since I drank that bottle so your note is helpful, it keeps the discussion current. Tell me, did you find any of the Rosella’s jerky or citrus?

• 2009 Novy Family Wines Syrah Rosella’s Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Lucia Highlands (8/2/2012)
    Smoke and cracked pepper on the nose, very typical and on target for Rosella’s. Dark fruit mixed against citrus and jerky, along with good tannin at this stage. I should have read my previous note about decant (!) so I’ll look to this to unfold over night.

On tasting tonight, I definitely get the beef jerky and citrus. Starting to get some funky barnyard and leather with a slight bitter tannin on the finish reminiscent of a Tuscan IGT, just more restrained. It must be Rosella’s Italian influence. [wink.gif] Super wine, my WOTY so far.

Adam and Dianna definitely have this vineyard wired, the wine is so good and consistent vintage after vintage and IMO one the best QPR’s out there.

I totally agree. Love this wine and the 2009 in particular was very nice. Wish I had more in the cellar. Hey bob, I see your surfing pic… are you gonna catch any blizzard swell up there in Mass? I wish I could go tomorrow in Jersey when it cleans up, but stuck at the friggin office.

Isaac,
Due to the short days my winter surfing is usually limited to weekends, I doubt I’ll catch anything from this storm considering I’m closing the office tomorrow. It will probably clean up Wed am and be gone by Wed pm.

yeah, kind of hard to get away during the week. Cheers!

Here is an update to the discussion we had back in 2015. Drinking this tonight. Tasting like Rosella’s terroir and showing the generous frame of the 2009 vintage. I’ve consistently said this is one of the best CA Syrah vineyards we have, and Adam made a terrific wine from the site. Perfect for what I was looking for tonight. Thanks for reading.

• 2009 Novy Family Wines Syrah Rosella’s Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Lucia Highlands (1/14/2017)
    Haven’t drank one of these in nearly 5 years, and this is my final remaining in the cellar. Opened this about 2 hrs ago, been sipping on it and sensing it change. At this point, it’s got some older world nuance, I suspect from the whole cluster–sage, rosemary, licorice tones. Then, it has a CA profile, a texture that is generous, plush and loaded with blue and black fruit. The Rosella’s terroir is here, showing grapefruit, steak sauce and jerky. The acidity shows good energy as it persists through the finish, adding to the licorice and jerky notes, some remaining tannin, too. Over dinner, this continued to hum right along, the blue fruit was not an accurate call earlier, as this seems clearly red and black to me. The alc is listed at 14.2%, there is plenty of fruit here and good stuffing. Finishes with light chocolate and grapefruit, a touch of graham cracker too. Enough remaining acidity that this should continue to go but with the wine feeling pretty well opened up now, the fruit and terroir on display, it’s ready to drink IMO. Delicious.

Thanks for the notes!

I would have imagined that a Syrah from Rosella’s Vineyard would be a big, dense beast. Glad to hear that it’s coming along nicely.

Here is a nice winter shot I took way back in 2006 when I went to visit Gary F at his Rosella’s site. I can’t believe it has been 10 years since. wow.
Rosella's Vineyard And The SLH.JPG

Is Adam still making Novy wines? Quick check of the Novy Family Wines website shows most recent “Current Releaee” wines are from the 2010 vintage.