In Vino Veritas. In Napa, Deceit.

Wine maker steals grapes from other growers to make wines

In any business, wherever there is a profit incentive, there is a fraud incentive.

Wow. Another potential movie. Some young winemakers jump in head first before checking the depth of the water, so to speak.

Just as an aside, I’m a little bothered by the fact that the NYT article was written by someone who met the subject of the article, joined the wine club, considered marrying his girlfriend at the winery site, etc. Yes, it’s disclosed in the article, but I think it would have been better to have some other reporter do the research and write the story. Just MHO, of course.

Bruce

The harsh attack on Napa cabs being way to expensive for the intrinsic value of the wines must be a concern to all Napa vintners, its an eyeopener in many ways

The article has many implications including toying with the percentage laws for Napa labeled wines, theft of grapes from top tier Napa estate wineries, and defrauding investors. More black eyes for the wine industry.

So…anybody here on his list?

As a journalist, I don’t see any problem. It allowed the writer to give first-hand impressions of the subject.

Bruce brings up a good point, and as a result, a reader may have to take this story with a grain of salt.

However, for this particular story, I agree with John (I’m a journalist, too). For me, it answered the question of how does this tech writer know so much about Napa wine, and it gave a bit more credence in providing an understanding of how Hill interacted with his visitors/customers (since going and observing him now – after the charges – would be tainted by the accusations). Short of trying to get a leaked customer list or visitor log, it would be difficult to get this point of view.

No confessions yet, but there are some CT reviews. The prize goes to this one for a 2012 Cab:

“3/3/2014 - JOHNAHIEB DOES NOT LIKE THIS WINE: 75 Points
If you can’t say anything nice…”

But then again there’s this one, who perhaps should have followed the edict “What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas”

“5/9/2013 - VEGASOENOPHILE LIKES THIS WINE: 93 Points
Beautiful nose! Rich, round and full of red currant, cranberry and raspberry aromas. Cinnamon graham cracker as well. Very pretty nose.
Lovely texture on the palate with good structure and balance. Pretty, red fruit driven wine. Cinnamon spice, cedar, florals and pretty red berry fruit. Polished tannins and hints of orange zest, molasses and cassis. Touch of white pepper. Very nice wine!”

Perhaps it just came down to which barrel ya got…the Del Dotto ‘block’ should be the clear winner. [wink.gif]