TN: 2002 Bressler Cabernet Sauvignon (USA, California, Napa Valley, St. Helena)

• 2002 Bressler Cabernet Sauvignon - USA, California, Napa Valley, St. Helena (1/23/2015)
    Popped, decanted and followed for two and a half hours. At first, after 30 minutes of air, it was a nice, balanced and pleasant if not spectacular Cabernet. After two and a half hours of air, it is spectacular. The red fruits are coming out of hiding, the wine is opening up, and the smooth feel is finishing with some nice back end spice. The ABV is 14.9% but I would have guessed much less. I got this in trade back in 2006 when a group of people on mail order lists got together to trade their extras. I don’t remember what I traded for this, but I’m glad I got this. (92 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Nice note. I had one of these in May and also liked it quite a bit. If you see it anywhere, I think the '05 is even better.

Andrew- did you end up getting any of the 10’s ?

Love these wines and they usually reward 2 hours or so of air. My last 02 was in August 13 and I gave it a 2 hour decant and it was terrific and still on the young side.

Thanks for posting this note, Jay. Bresslers age beautifully.

Yep, Fred, I have '06, '09, and a pair of '10s in the cellar. Might open the '06 in a few weeks, when my dad comes to visit. He and I have had the '05 together twice and he’s a big fan.

New mailer went out Friday. One of two left for me, with the other being Cayuse. 02 has been my favorite, but I drank most of them out of the chute.

I had the 06 from pnp earlier this month and it is pretty open and ready to go, very good.

I took the 09 to a business dinner this week and after a 1 hour decant followed it for about an hour through dinner. It is terrific. It might be as good as the 05 which has been my favorite. Need to see if Bob has some more.

Looks like some in the Seattle crew tried the 12 recently. I won’t touch those for a few years.

cheers

Yes indeed. Drew was very generous to open one of these for me last week

"2012 Bressler Cabernet

A very different beast, this IS a ride—plum pie and plenty of cocoa underpinning to sniff at. On the tongue, this gets right to the edge of what I like in terms of big, bold and sweet, with oodles of plum, crabapple and pomegranate, but stays on the playing field with a very intriguing soft-but-gritty tannins…really, like the finest sandpaper. This won’t be for everyone, though."

Jay thanks for the note, it got me reaching for the 2000, which has aged gracefully and beautifully.

I have always appreciated Mia Klein’s understated style and have always admired that Stacey and Bob never looked to stretch the fruit

I wish my other bounty of older Napa Cab’s were ageing this well, then again 1995 Araujo a week back was incredible.

MT