TN: 2012 Kelley Fox Wines Pinot Noir Mirabai (USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, McMinnville)

• 2012 Kelley Fox Wines Pinot Noir Mirabai - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, McMinnville (1/22/2015)
    Pretty color. Almost a medium -light hue of glowing crimson. Nose of crushed bright red berries, sassafras and orange zest. Palate shows a nicely bright red fruit profile with tons of verve. A crunchy and polished mouthfeel with red strawberries, red raspberries and spring flowers. It’s super fragrant and very gorgeous. I am so loving the orange peel/sweet tart/violet thingy running straight through it. Wow. Tannins are elegant and finely meshed and acidity spot-on and bouncy. A mid-palate creaminess that only a Cab guy can appreciate. Balanced, elegant, vibrant and just awesome. What the hell is not to love? (94 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

I need to try some of her wines ala StoryTeller who continually praises them. Great note, thanks.

Kelley is the long-time Scott Paul winemaker and quite talented. I don’t believe she makes a ton of wine under her own label.

“to Pobega” might be BB verb with a pre-assigned meaning…but to me it’s starting to mean “liking wines that you can’t figure out how on earth Pobega would get”. [wink.gif]

RT

This one was offered by both Storyteller and Full Pull. Not sure where Mike got it, but her wines are generally available in the PNW.

Michael

I got a case coming! Thx for the tn sir.

Glenn, after tasting this wine and paying $39 I seriously wonder if I can ever in good clear mind ever want to pay more for a Pinot. It is a wine that I want to gulp and fill my mouth with instead of sip. Sipping is for saps. It’s amazing.

All you guys out there who think Pobega just wants dark, over-extracted and ripe Pinot clearly don’t know Pobega. :slight_smile:

I have found myself thinking the same thing about Jamie’s Falstaff at $59/btl - why pay more?

I have 3 of those babies coming too!

You’re doing it right, Mike. Just don’t tell too many people about these wines – knowing a “secret” at great prices is part of the joy. Nice note.

Mike, keep on Pobega-ing. Fun ride to watch.

RT

Heads up New Yorkers, Chambers got 3 more cases today. I am covered…

Mike- nice one, don’t see nearly enough notes for Kelly’s own wines or Scott Paul. Oregon really has become the bastion of Pinot QPR- PG’s, Belle Pente, Eyrie, and many more make excellent wines for under $40 and if you can give them a few years they are even better. If you ever make a spring Florida trip( Bern’s/Yankee’s spring training) we’ll dig into the 08’s and some other pinot’s to help continue the ride.

Fred, I would love that. I will if I do. Thanks!

Nice! I concur that Kelly’s and Scott’s wines are wines we should hear more about. What a steal and this is Maresh and Momtazi fruit!

I haven’t had this wine but I am wondering how I would perceive the “creaminess”. In pinot I think that would have a negative connotation for me. Makes me think of 2006 in Oregon or Santa Lucia Highlands.

Jason

Jason, to me. More of a mouthfeel thing than say a cream sode pop thing in the nose. If that makes sense.
Nothing negative whatsoever.

Who is my daddy and what does he do?
kelleyfox2.jpg

Yup. We are on the same page. I don’t generally don’t like that mouthfeel. Well my interpretation of it. Kind of a roundness?

J

image.jpg
My FedEx delivery today

well save a bottle for my next visit, 'mano. I’m starting to wonder if we’ll see a Cab in Mike’s 2015 WOTY list [grin.gif]

All good, though.

I have my 3 2013 Falstaffs ordered too, no dummy here…looking forward to tasting through the lineup in a few weeks at FMIII’s.

Steve–why does the picture still have the 3 bottles resting on their sides without one open yet? [rofl.gif]

Cool, Mike.

While we are at it, when did people start using screw-tops???

:slight_smile: