TN: 2009 Congruence Cabernet Sauvignon (USA, California, Napa Valley)

2009 Congruence Cabernet Sauvignon - USA, California, Napa Valley (1/17/2015)
Dark and opaque. Nose of sweet black-red fruits with cassis and sassafras. Palate shows some nice dense black currant, black plums and black cherries. This has some nice textural elements to it. Tannins seem behaved and overall balance deft and has maintained the dustiness I found previously. This has morphed into a pretty and accessible wine with lots of lift and elegance. I also maintain the hour decant if possible. A great effort. (92 pts.)

The '10’s not bad either. Talk about good QPR!

I drank the '08 and '09 at a Berserker dinner back in March 2012. [cheers.gif]

For those that have never tried it there might be a January 27th showing… Just sayin [berserker.gif]

I can confirm this rumor. champagne.gif

I am not sure I mentioned above, if you plan on opening one soon, this needs at least an hour or two in decanter.

I’ll tell you the truth, I deliberately used a lot of merlot in my blend for the 2010 Napa cab to make the wine approachable at a much younger age. I think my other cabs take a long time to arrive at their drinking windows. Who really knows, but I believe they will really hit their stride at around 10 years of age.

Does that include the 2010 which I thought you labeled as more open and an early drinker?

Splitting the 2010 Napa out from the Reserve served both bottlings well. It was a turning point for Steve and one I encouraged for a few years previous. Glad to see it when he did. Strangely enough, the 2010 Napa has been one of my favorite bottles.

Nice review. I just picked up 3 to compare to the 2010 you sent my way. Very happy Steve has the Berserkerday deal up still!

I don’t think the 2010 Napa bottling is in any danger of fading any time soon. But the 12% merlot in the blend did soften the wine for the near term. The 2010 Coombsville Reserve, on the other hand, needs lots of time. Saying that, a lot of my customers don’t agree with me on that point and are enjoying the wine already. I just think the Reserve will show better with a few more years on it.

To Mike’s point about two bottlings in 2010, in 2008 and 2009, I didn’t see sufficient quality differences between barrels to justify splitting into two bottlings. In 2010 and 2011, I did. The 2010 Reserve, btw, bested the 2010 MacDonald by a pretty good margin at a CLONYC dinner last year, so I think the choice to split was a good one.

Another wine I forgot to buy on Berserkerday. Just be sure to offer it next year.

Jay, you still have time. I think Steves keeping the window open until this morning.

Well late to the party… but I just got some! [cheers.gif]

Cheers
Rip

PM sent to you, Jay.