TN: Bedrock Syrah HudsonVnyd '12...(short/boring)

Tried this last night w/ dinner:

1. BedrockWineCo Syrah HudsonVnyd/South/T’n’S Blocks/Carneros (14.7%; 33% whole cluster; Cofrmtd: 1993 T-West block + younger AlbanSlctn S-Block; 300 cs; 40% whole cluster) 2012: Very dark color; some WholeCluster/peppery/Rhonish/roasted rather blackberry/Syrah/black olive tapenade/boysenberry slight earthy light charred/oak/smokey quite complex/Rhonish nose; quite tart rather lean/tight some blackberry/boysenberry/Syrah/black olive tapenade/cold-climate rather WC/Rhonish/roasted/coffee/smokey quite savory complex flavor w/ some modest/hard tannins; very long quite tart structured some blackberry/Syrah/black olive tapenade/cold-climate strong WC/Rhonish/black pepper slight toasty/oak/smokey somewhat rough/rustic/earthy/dusty finish w/ some hard/rough tannins; good cold-climate/Carneros/black olive character w/ some rough/rustic/Cornas-like/Rhonish/tannic character; needs 2-3 yrs yet and should go out 10-15 yrs; quite an interesting Rhonish Syrah. $40.00

A wee BloodyPulpit:

1. The WholeCluster character of this wine really comes thru to give it quite a Rhonish character. It reminds me some of the Arnot-Roberts or WindGap Syrahs becauuse of its savory character, but much more intense than those often are.
    Tom

Thanks for the notes. How much air did you give this before drinking? The only bottle of this that I have opened so far was a 2009, which was fantastic, but required about 5-6 hours to open up. I’m thinking 7 years minimum of cellar time for these Bedrock Syrahs.

Good notes. Thanks so much.

I have a few in my locker, the 11 was amazing as well. I only have one of those left and I’m going to give it some time.

No air…just pulled the cork and poured to glass and drank over about a 2 hr period as I worked in the kitchen, wrapped gifts, etc.

I think Morgan referred in his Newsletter to, if you drink it young, to give it a “good decant”. I’m not much a believer in letting
a wine breathe.
Tom