Interesting Vineyard Development At Sea Smoke Vineyards (Photos)

I spend a LOT of my time researching vineyards. Today I drove around to various vineyard sites looking to see which vineyard blocks I had my eyes on (for potential Piper additions) were underwater vs which ones were just damp. We have had 12 inches of rain the last 3 weeks.

I also peruse a lot of satellite data of vineyards all over.

While looking at Google Earth at the Santa Rita Hills, I saw some interesting pictures of Sea Smoke and I was curious if anyone knows what is going on in their eastern blocks?

It looks like they are grubbing up the edges of the vineyard near the road in the last year or so. Also, as you can see, they seem to be removing vines all around the perimeter of the blocks, including the bottom. What is intriguing is that the areas they have appeared to removed vines have a chalky white soil. I am wondering if there are certain things with that soil that are proving difficult? Here is a screenshot.

Notice the whiteness? Just to be sure, I took a snap of the same location from 1994, two years before Sea Smoke bought the property, and when it had no vines at all. You can see the white areas are the exact same areas now being removed, and guessing, replanted?

If this is indeed the issue, and I can’t imagine it is not, given the removal of vines exactly matches to the white soils… then I think the massive “Rita’s Crown” development right next to (and above) Sea Smoke might want to pay special attention. An aerial photo of those vines show a boat load of that exact white soil in their brand spanking new vineyard plantings, of which there are hundreds of acres of.

Anyone familiar with what is happening there? What is that white soil? Sand? Lime? Sea Shells?

Do they lime off season?
http://www.practicalwinery.com/julyaug99/liming.htm

Could it be calcium carbonate? Here in tx we call it “caliche” different from limestone I think.

The white material may be diatomaceous earth. IIRC there is a large mine in the Lompoc area.

http://www.liquidfarm.com/Soils

DIATOMACEOUS EARTH
Diatomaceous earth (i.e., fossil marine skeletons) is readily available as the soil parent material throughout the SRH. Composed of white porous rock high in Calcium Silicate (aka; Silica) a mineral with higher porosity thanboth chalk or limestone. In conjunction with the cool coastal climate within the SRH AVA, grapes grown in this environment exhibit soil minerality in the wine that we can actually taste. Wikipedia Natural News

Yes, most likely that’s what it is. As I understand it, DE is pretty common in that area. I’ve taken a tour of that Lompoc mine and it’s blindingly white.

Here’s a photo of a group of us with Peter Cargasacchi on a hillside above his vineyard and a little west of Sea Smoke, from about 6 years ago:

Whoa, that is an interesting picture!

My guess is they were having vine issues and are using a new rootstock in place of the old one?

Put some Melon or Chenin Blanc or Riesling on that white soil.

Or the Viognier that Eric Texier uses to make his “Opale”.

Not sure, but I bet that is why Sweeney Canyon Chard is so rad.

If you scroll to the properties exactly east of SeaSmoke you can find this beauty for sale.

http://www.landandfarm.com/property/133_Acre_Prime_Land_Parcels_in_Santa_Rita_Hills-1129118/

http://realestate.apc.cc/ca/Lompoc/1049527.php

Right.

That crazy white soil is just screaming for a cult white wine to be made from it.

L to R: EricLundblad, ??, KenZinns, PeterCargassachi, AlOsterheld, Fido.
Tom

The other butt model is John Tomasso.

-Al

Peter’s dog might have been named Buddy.

FWIW, diatomaceous earth is all over the hills on the southern of the two valleys in the Sta Rita Hills particularly towards the west, and tending to become more prominent as you move up in elevation.

-Al

image.jpg
I took this photo from Peter’s ranch last month. The hills would be southwest of Sea Smoke if I have my bearings right.

This description is incorrect.

Which part is incorrect?

Roy,

If you are digging down there to do something with your brand, in my research I would strongly suggest you consider sourcing or planting on a north slope on white diatomaceous and either to chenin or chardonnay. My 2 cents for what it’s worth. Happy to talk more if you ever care to over a couple bottles.

Why not just contact Don Schroeder, their winemaker? He posts here from time to time and is readily available via email . . .

Cheers!

Pretty much the whole thing, if we’re being technical about it.